[Solved] Rename photo according to Exif dates

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Mjolnir

[Solved] Rename photo according to Exif dates

Post by *Mjolnir »

Here my pb : I have 2 camera (Canon & Nikon). Both produces files with dedicated names (IMG_xxxx.jpg and DSCNxxxx.jpg), but once all files copied in same directory, all are (as you guess), sorted A-Z, and not possibly, by date (due to the "copy date" of photos, from cameras to my PC).

Is there a plugin/way to use the Multi-rename tool to rename all those files, using the Exif time, to something like : YYYMMDDhhmmss_xxxx.jpg ?

Edit : found a plugin in the German forum side (http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=26535&highlight=exif)... I'll try... sounds good...

Edit 2 : OK, perfect with this plugin :
- select all my files, and rename it according to the plugin : [=exif.Date Digitalisée.YMD]-[=exif.TimeOriginal.hms]_[N]
- then replace in a second time, "DSCN" and "IMG_" by "nothing"
Longue vie a TC... déjà + de 20 ans de bons et loyaux services chez moi !
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

With the same plugin you can make custom view with exif date and time, and sort according to it, without the need to rename it. Also with custom views, sorting is possible on any exif field.
Mjolnir

Post by *Mjolnir »

True, for sure, but my aim was to rename them, as photos are shared with friends, having no TC (booooh ! :wink: )
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Mjolnir,
You could also set the files' timestamp to the EXIF timestamp.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
sorcar

Post by *sorcar »

Mjolnir:
I have 2 camera (Canon & Nikon). Both produces files with dedicated names...
Is there a plugin/way to use the Multi-rename tool to rename ... to something like : YYYMMDDhhmmss_xxxx.jpg ?
I use the Rename mask [=exif.DateOriginal.Y-M-D]~[=exif.TimeOriginal.h-m-s]_[N]. This way I have a readable date format, can sort photos from all cameras in correct chronological sequence, and also with some indication of the source camera and the photo serial number.
Mjolnir

Post by *Mjolnir »

Back with another point : Is thre a way to automatize this renaming processing ?

In the Multi-rename tool :
- I've saved the "action" as "Rename JPG using Exif creation date" (having filled the Rename mask with : [=exif.Date Original.Y-M-D]~[=exif.TimeOriginal.hms]_[N]).

Then, in the button bar array, I've added a button, with :
- Command: MULTIRENAME
- Parameters: Rename JPG using Exif creation date

but when this button is pressed, it open the Multi-rename tool, and I need (well, ok, it's not really heavy) to press the [Start!] button, and then the [Esc] Button to exit the Multi-rename tool.

:arrow: How could I automatized those 2x last actions, avoiding opening the Multi-rename tool // or performing an automatic open-rename action-close ?

I may have red somewhere (from Ghisler/author) that is not possible, due to "security/miss-action" point... ?!?
jult

Post by *jult »

Mjolnir wrote:Back with another point : Is thre a way to automatize this renaming processing ?

In the Multi-rename tool :
- I've saved the "action" as "Rename JPG using Exif creation date" (having filled the Rename mask with : [=exif.Date Original.Y-M-D]~[=exif.TimeOriginal.hms]_[N]).

Then, in the button bar array, I've added a button, with :
- Command: MULTIRENAME
- Parameters: Rename JPG using Exif creation date

but when this button is pressed, it open the Multi-rename tool, and I need (well, ok, it's not really heavy) to press the [Start!] button, and then the [Esc] Button to exit the Multi-rename tool.
Did anyone ever continue with this? I'd like to have this under a button too. Even though the multi-rename tool is quick enough, it's still something one would prefer to have under one button applying for the current file-list-selection.
sorcar

Post by *sorcar »

Even though the multi-rename tool is quick enough, it's still something one would prefer to have under one button
My several years of experience in picture renaming and organizing suggests that the two steps are necessary precautions in such sweeping and irreversible actions like mass renaming. But if anyone at all craves for one-click automation, a suitable ahk script could be a better alternative.
JimmyTheBroker

Post by *JimmyTheBroker »

Hacker wrote:Mjolnir,
You could also set the files' timestamp to the EXIF timestamp.

Roman

How do you do this?

Edit: Never mind!

Thanks,
Jimmy
JimmyTheBroker

Post by *JimmyTheBroker »

Hey guys,

I am using
wdx_exif.zip
from: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=26535&highlight=exif

and have downloaded installed the plugin.
I'm wondering if there is a way to have the "exif.TimeDigitized" as a column in the multi-rename tool? I would like to be able to sort photos by the date/time they were taken, so that all my photos are in the correct order of when they were shot.

Thanks
Jimmy

(P.S im not sure if I will get a notification when someone replies to this thread. I would greatly appreciate if someone Inboxes.)
I finally get notifications from emails again!!!
So happy!