Delete duplicates / synch directories?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Premier

Delete duplicates / synch directories?

Post by *Premier »

Hello,

I've been using Total Commander for a long time, but now I've run into a problem which I can't solve even after checking the FAQ and trying to click on things.

Imagine the following situation:

In the left panel, I have a directory with, say, a good 500 files. In the right panel, I have a different directory with a similar number of different files. With the left panel active, I hit F5 and copy those 500 files into the dir on the right... and then I realise they weren't supposed to go there! Now I want to undo this mistake, but I can't figure out how (short of manually comparing 1000 file names by eye).

Back in the Norton Commander days, I could simply use Compare Directories, which would automatically select (i.e. highlight) the duplicate files, and then I could just press F8 to delete them from the right panel where they don't belong.

However, I can't figure out how to do the same in TC. As far as I understand, the closest match in function is Synchronize Directories, but it's not helping. I start it, compare the directories, click on the black equation mark to list the duplicates... and now what?

I can click on either Close, which closes the Synch Dir tool, or Synchronize, which doesn't do anything in this situation. What I'd like to do is either A), make Synch actually delete one-half of the duplicates (in this case from the right panel), or B) have the duplicates highlighted/selected in the main window, where I can press F8 to delete them.

Could someone give me step-by-step instructions on how to achieve this? Thank you very much in advance!
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

You're very close to the solution. In Synchronize directories, enable only Equal files and duplicates. It's especially important to disable Singles to prevent deletion of files you want to keep! After comparing, select all files (e.g. Ctrl+A), right-click on the selection and select Delete right (assuming the files you intend to delete are on the right side).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Premier,
Shift-F2 and invert selection?

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Premier

Post by *Premier »

Hacker wrote:Premier,
Shift-F2 and invert selection?

HTH
Roman
Ah, yes, that does it!

Thank you, Hacker!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Premier,
Welcome. ;)

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.