Controlled Folder Access

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Phred

Controlled Folder Access

Post by *Phred »

Controlled Folder Access is the new precaution Microsoft has given us in the 'Fall (norhern hemisphere) Creators Update', 1709, of Windows 10.

It is designed to use Defender as an overseer of programs that access standard and nominated user-folders, so as to limit the ingress of unexpected ransomware activity.

I have it switched on and am tuning it to my needs. I have allowed through a number of programs that I have been using for years (that I thought Defender/Microsoft would have know about and accepted), but today it's preventing me from moving some jpgs from a sub-folder to their Pictures parent.
I know CFA is doing it because of the alerts given in the Action Centre.

I have allowed TOTALCMD64.EXE through its gate, but CFA is still forbidding the moves. No permissions issues are in play, I'm certain (my/this user's standard M:\...\Pictures folder used all the time).
TC has quite a few executables, and it may be handing off the F6 Move command to another exe, another dll; is this the case?

If we could establish a Controlled Folder Access protocol here and now, it should eliminate obstacles for further TC owners/licensees.
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
Phred

Further...

Post by *Phred »

UPDATE

I found that what may have been inhibiting my F6 movement of some photos to a parent folder was a couple of recent background Windows 10 updates that were dormant, awaiting a reboot.

With TOTALCMD64.EXE still in the Controlled Folder Access white-list, TC F6 moves are working nominally.

'Windows Defender, Open Windows Defender Security Center, Virus & threat protection, Virus & threat protection settings, Controlled Folder Access, Allow an app through controlled folder access.'

FYI/HTH
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
Mira Mirzaian

Post by *Mira Mirzaian »

Thank you Phred. Pleasant well ordered guide. Want to see more goes up against how well this functions, which envelopes you ought to or should exclude, reactions, and so on..