Closing a network tab when connection doesn't exist any more

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Closing a network tab when connection doesn't exist any more

Post by *wanderer »

I'll demonstrate what i consider to be a design bug with an example:

Left panel, tab#1 points to \\server1\share1, tab #2 points to C:\. Tab #2 is active.

At some point, the connection to \\server1\share1 is lost (i.e. because the VPN connection to the server was closed). Using CTRL + LeftClick on tab #1, instead of immediately closing, it becomes active and tries to read data from it. So, TC "hangs" for a few seconds until it points out that the folder does not exist and a new drive should be selected.

Again, i consider this to be a design bug, that's why i'm reporting it as one. IMO, upon a CTRL+Click, the tab should be closed without being activated. If it's difficult not to activate it, at least close it immediately after activation without trying to read from it and cause an unnecessary delay to the whole process. Hopefully, it should be just a matter of checking whether CTRL key is down upon tab activation and if so, do nothing and just close the tab.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You can Ctrl+Tab to a tab without activating it. Then without releasing Ctrl, press W to remove the tab.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:You can Ctrl+Tab to a tab without activating it. Then without releasing Ctrl, press W to remove the tab.
Well, that certainly is a workaround but for the last 20yrs i'm using TC, i'm used to work this way. It will be difficult to change habits.

Anyway, it would be nice if it could be done with the mouse as i describe. If not, ok, never mind.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
silencer

Post by *silencer »

I have noticed the same with slower network connections. Other workaround is closing it with middle mouse button. which i'm used to (now)