'File not found' bug ... (TC 'forget' the extension part ?)

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Scythal

'File not found' bug ... (TC 'forget' the extension part ?)

Post by *Scythal »

Regarding this bug that has been there for years and which must be pretty hard to find because it only happens once in a while, it seems to be caused when TC forgets the file extension.

So you want to do something with a file (copy, delete, view) and TC says 'File not found' (or something similar), chances are it tries to process "<file>" instead of "<file>.<ext>".

I believe that because it just wiped out an entire project directory instead of "project.7z" which was an old temporary copy. :evil:

But I doubt this will ever be fixed, since TC's development has stopped?
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

That never happend and also TC developement is of course not stopped.
I classify such posts as trolling.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Re: 'File not found' bug

Post by *HolgerK »

Scythal wrote:So you want to do something with a file (copy, delete, view) and TC says 'File not found' (or something similar), chances are it tries to process "<file>" instead of "<file>.<ext>".
Would be nice to tell us what action you exactly performed with Key strokes, Mouse (TC-Button) or Context Menu.
I believe that because it just wiped out an entire project directory instead of "project.7z" which was an old temporary copy. :evil:
You believe, but do you know?
Without any Delete Confirmation Dialog (strange as this can't be easily turned of in TC)?
Not content can be found in Recyle.bin?
Context Menu -> Restore Previous Versions?
Last version of TC is from 2017-11-24.
Won't say that development is stopped.

Regards
Holger
Make our planet great again
Scythal

Re: 'File not found' bug

Post by *Scythal »

Horst.Epp wrote:That never happend and also TC developement is of course not stopped.
I classify such posts as trolling.
And most will classify such response as trolling. Simply because you never saw this problem (supposedly) doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just stating that it "never happend" (sic) doesn't make it true. Also, note the question mark, it was just a question but I suppose those little details fly right above your head.

Make sure to watch those typos.
HolgerK wrote:
Scythal wrote:So you want to do something with a file (copy, delete, view) and TC says 'File not found' (or something similar), chances are it tries to process "<file>" instead of "<file>.<ext>".
Would be nice to tell us what action you exactly performed with Key strokes, Mouse (TC-Button) or Context Menu.
I bring the cursor over a file (up/down and so on), and when it's over the file, I press the key for the desired operation. So delete, F5, F6, F8 for example. No mouse interaction :)

In this particular case, the cursor was brought to a <name>.7z compressed file, then shift-delete to remove it. And the <name> directory was deleted instead. No file was selected (marked in red with space bar or shift), it wasn't a mistake on my end.
You believe, but do you know?
I don't have the sources, so I can't know, but the coincidence is worth mentioning.
Without any Delete Confirmation Dialog (strange as this can't be easily turned of in TC)?
Not content can be found in Recyle.bin?
Context Menu -> Restore Previous Versions?
Heh, nope. I usually shift-delete to avoid cluttering the recycle bin, but I wasn't expecting this to happen. And the confirmations were all disabled.

It's not a huge problem in itself, but this bug has been annoying me for years (without exaggerating), with several OSes, on several computers, so it's not just a corrupted program nor a one-time occurrence. It's just not easy to pinpoint because it happens about once in 2-3 months on average, and usually without consequence so I haven't reported it until now.

This time it was the latest TC version on Windows 7 Pro.
Last version of TC is from 2017-11-24.
Won't say that development is stopped.

Regards
Holger
Well that's very good news! I saw "final" on the file name and indeed a "This is the final release!" announcement so I feared it was the end of it ;)
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

I usually shift-delete to avoid cluttering the recycle bin, but I wasn't expecting this to happen
Restore previous version should be independent from shift+delete.
And the confirmations were all disabled.
This will not disable TC's delete confirmation, except:
You have disable the recylce bin confirmation? +
- you're are deleting files, folder inside a virtual folder like "//desktop"?
- or you've configured TC to use the explorer delete method?
- or you've manually set "VistaDelete=1" in wincmd.ini?
a "This is the final release!" announcement so I feared it was the end of it
Final release version after a long lasting series of beta test versions.

BTW: <Shift+del> is my preferred delete operation since many years and i never observed such a strange behavior, but i also live with confirmation dialogs and TC's own delete method.

I suggest to enable TC's Log function:
"Configuration->Settings... ->Operation:Log file ..."
Maybe this will give a hint what's going wrong if this would happen again.

Regards
Holger
Make our planet great again
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Do you work in the \\Desktop folder? If so, you should disable the option that hides file extensions in Folder Options (or Explorer Options), because if the option is enabled, the virtual folders hides the extensions, but TC always shows them.

If you already have this option disabled, then disregard my post.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Dalai,
While trying to copy files from my phone using the Alt-F1 - My Computer - Phone approach on a computer where showing file extensions was disabled in Explorer they were not shown in TC, either (so they could not be copied). I could imagine that it might be possible that it could somehow happen that if you select and delete a blabla.7z file in TC in a virtual folder where you don't see the file extension that blabla gets deleted instead, which would be quite... unfortunate.
Just a wild guess, though.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2Hacker
Yes, you're right. I meant that TC always shows the extension in non-virtual folders/directories, but whether or not TC does so in virtual folders depends on the mentioned system setting. This could cause confusion (there are already a couple of threads about this), and maybe even processing of the wrong files, by the user or TC itself (just like you're guessing).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Scythal

Post by *Scythal »

HolgerK wrote:Restore previous version should be independent from shift+delete.
I didn't have a restore points nor a backup, no, those operations are performed too often to do that. Thanks for pointing that out though!
This will not disable TC's delete confirmation, except:
You have disable the recylce bin confirmation? +
- you're are deleting files, folder inside a virtual folder like "//desktop"?
- or you've configured TC to use the explorer delete method?
- or you've manually set "VistaDelete=1" in wincmd.ini?
Well spotted, I had to redo that on a test file to realize... I do confirm those deletes automatically, or almost! And this time the name shown on the confirmation pop-up was *almost* the same; I didn't expect this problem so I confirmed ;)
I suggest to enable TC's Log function:
"Configuration->Settings... ->Operation:Log file ..."
Maybe this will give a hint what's going wrong if this would happen again.
That's a good suggestion, thanks! It could be a while, but at least it may capture helpful info next time.

Dalai wrote:you should disable the option that hides file extensions in Folder Options
Those are among the first ones I disable when installing the OS :)
No, when this problem occurs, the correct file is under the cursor without any ambiguity. The result of the operation so far had been a failure to find the specified file. And this time, it did the operation, but on the same filename without the extension.