Problem with POP3 plugin and Exchange Server

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

maxmula

Problem with POP3 plugin and Exchange Server

Post by *maxmula »

Hello everybody, it's the first time here, for me...

I tried the POP3 plugin v.1.2 by Andre Martin: while it works properly at home, with my internet account, it seems to have some problems with my company's Exchange server javascript:emoticon(':(').

I've got about 60 messages stored in my office mailbox: after retrieving almost all the headers when the progress bar was at 98% TC crashed and then an error message, reading "External Exception EEDFADE" appeared.
Any advice?

The computer I use at work is a PII-400, 256MB RAM, Win 2000.
Bye, and thank you again.

Hope this report was useful...
--
MAx - Italy
André Martin

Post by *André Martin »

Hi maxmula,
so it works without any problems at home but not at your companies place?!? This is really odd...
Did your mailbox contain the same emails when you checked it at home / in your company?
Is the mailserver behind a firewall and does the firewall work with a kind of POP3Proxy so it might be a protocol related issue...
Browse the web with the HTTP SmartBrowserPlugin
Check your mails with the POP3/SMTP EmailPlugin!
maxmula

Post by *maxmula »

I didn't try to access the same mailbox (my company mailbox is accessible from home only via HTTP-webmail, and vice-versa, since there is a firewall between them).

I've made 2 different configurations in 2 different machines:

- Home: TC is installed on my pc (Athlon XP 2600+, 1GB Ram, Win XP), i've made a setup to access my internet account (with my good old 56K modem). It worked well.

- Office (PII-400, 256MB RAM, Win2K SP3+updates): I tried to access my company's Exchange server. I used the same parameters (username, POP3 & SMTP servers, ports) i've put into Outlook, our default email client.
I'm sure they are good because the same settings worked well with another email client I tried (a Made-in-Italy software named Pimmy).

Yes, we have a firewall but I don't think it's involved because the above Pimmy worked without setting up any email proxy.

I don't have administrator rights on my machine (I run TC from my pendrive, it's installed there with its configuration files -nothing appears in the Registry-), and we have an antivirus (some Norton stuff) scanning up everything (files and email messages).
Could be the cause of the problem one of the above items?

Best regards,
MAx
André Martin

Post by *André Martin »

Hi
...either the Exchange server uses some non standard POP3 commands which crashes the plugin or the Antivirus software appends some scanning information to the emailheaders which crashes the plugin's mailparser.
Could you turn of the antivirus software and test if you are able to download the emails?
Thanks in advance!

Does anybody else here have the possibility to test the plugin with Microsofts Exchange server?
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

André Martin wrote:Does anybody else here have the possibility to test the plugin with Microsofts Exchange server?
I would if your plugin supported NTLM authentication. Well there is a NTLM Authorization Proxy Server, but it requires the whole Python runtime to be installed. If you know of any better solution, tell me pls.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
maxmula

Post by *maxmula »

>Hi
>...either the Exchange server uses some non standard POP3 commands
> which crashes the plugin or the Antivirus software appends some
> scanning information to the emailheaders which crashes the plugin's
>mailparser.
>Could you turn of the antivirus software and test if you are able to
>download the emails?
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Does anybody else here have the possibility to test the plugin with
>Microsofts Exchange server?

Unfortunately I'm not administrator of the PC I have at the office and I've got no access to the antivirus settings... :-(
Hope someone else could help...
Regards,
MAx
André Martin

Post by *André Martin »

2SanskritFritz
Unfortunatily the plugin does not support NTLM and I don't know a better solution either... :-(

2maxmula
Thanks anyway for reporting the bug/problem...