Lister missfeature (may be bug?)

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Unjoanqualsevol

Lister missfeature (may be bug?)

Post by *Unjoanqualsevol »

Hi,

First, I don't known well where to post this message (here or plugin's forum), please, change if it's wrong. But I think is a missfeature(bug?) of TC itself, nothing about lister api.

Say you have a lister wlx plugin with edition features, as Synplus.
Take a zip archive with a text file in it.

1. Open a txt file inside a zip archive with F3
2. Press 4, until you view the file with Synplus plugin
3. Edit the file
4. Save changes of the file
5. Close lister
6. Open againg the txt file inside the zip archive.
7. The file has not changed!

I think TC should ask for update the txt file after step 5

Note: It's knowed, but I write it. If, in step 1, you open the in edit modefile with F4, then TC asks for update the file in archive after step 5.
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

It will not do because it is in lister which should be read only by definition. The fact that some plugins allow editing while listing is what I call "inappropriate software behavior". There is no way SynPlus to know it is editing zip text file since TC will unpack it for him and start plugin AFTER unpacking is complete. If you use edit, then TC will know U are going to edit it and it will replace original file in archive.

Althought it can be solved by plugin itself, you are not going to watch that story. Plugin which allows editing in lister should handle this side effects itself since it is because of it's own behaviour. It has nothing to do with TC in current TC model.

PS: This can also be understood as TC modeling failure since I don't see a reason for separation of list and edit procedures the way it is currently done.
Last edited by majkinetor on 2005-11-25, 14:36 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
We are not doing this just for the money.
We are doing it for sh*t load of money.

r-moth.com
r-moth.deviantart.com
Unjoanqualsevol

Hi, thanks for response
majkinetor wrote:... The fact that some plugins allow editing while listing is what I call "inappropriate software behavior"...
I agree. But it's the reality.
majkinetor wrote:... If you use edit, then TC will know U are going to edit it and it will replace original file in archive...
Well, I think TC uses filetime of temp file to know it, then TC can do the same behaviour when use edit and when use lister.
When notepad (default editor) is closed TC watchs filetime (of temp file) and asks for update if it's necessary.
I request the same behaviour with lister. When lister is closed, TC can watch filetime (of temp file) and asks if it's been changed.

Yours, Unjoanqualsevol.
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

I agree.

It's few lines of code anyway.
We are not doing this just for the money.
We are doing it for sh*t load of money.

r-moth.com
r-moth.deviantart.com
Unjoanqualsevol

With TC 6.54 public beta 1 same behaviour. Please, Is it possible to fix/enhance that?

Yours, Unjoanqualsevol
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I'm sorry but the only way would be to disable plugins in lister when viewing files from archives. I can do this for TC 6.54 final if this is your general wish. Re-packing is unfortunately not an option because you can view multiple files at once with lister - most packers cannot re-pack them in one step.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Unjoanqualsevol

ghisler(Author) wrote:I'm sorry but the only way would be to disable plugins in lister when viewing files from archives. I can do this for TC 6.54 final if this is your general wish. Re-packing is unfortunately not an option because you can view multiple files at once with lister - most packers cannot re-pack them in one step.
Thanks for comment,

If re-packing isn't possible, then may be a warning message box should be enough (optionally, of course, default warning on). When date/time of temp file has been changed and file is closed, TC should show some warning box warnig about losting changes. It's possible this way?

If it's not possible a disabling option for files in archives (optionally with wincmd.ini key, default disabling) should be created. Currently it's possible to lost changes without even a warning, then the user should enable this cool feature ;-)