[REQ1] Different editors for FTP, packed and usual files

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

[REQ1] Different editors for FTP, packed and usual files

Post by *Flint »

There is some inconvenience in TC with editing remote or packed files, so I have two suggestions. Though they appeared from the same drawback, they are quite independent and both can be useful, that's why I described them as two separate posts. The other request is: [REQ2] Repack/Upload edited file by changed timestamp.

At present only one editor is available for customizing. But there is a situation when different editors are required for usual files and e.g. files from FTP.

More detailed description of the problem:
In editing files from FTP and from archives TC is waiting for the editor process to finish, and then checks if it has changed the temporary file (to decide whether repack/upload the changed file or not). But if one use a multi-document editor this approach doesn't work: in most cases the editor process is already running with several documents, and opening a new document doesn't create a new process, so TC does not ask for repacking/uploading the changed file when the document is closed.

So, my suggestion is: to make settings for different editors for these 3 situations, so that the user could use his favourite multi-document editor for usual files (when watching for changes is not necessary), and some single-document editor for files from FTP and/or archives. These options could be implemented without user interface, just via wincmd.ini setting, e.g.:
Editor - a usual editor
EditorFTP - editor for files from FTP
EditorArchive - editor for files from archives

(For example, I personally use EmEditor 5.0. It is multi-document, but allows to run it as a single-document instance with the /sp command-line key. So I could specify:

Code: Select all

Editor=emeditor.exe
EditorFTP=emeditor.exe /sp
EditorArchive=emeditor.exe /sp
I edit files from FTP and archives rather rarely, so I don't need multi-document advantages for them.)
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

There should please also be an Option that when you dont enter anything for "EditorFTP" and "EditorArchive" that Editor is allways used.
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Sir_SiLvA
There should please also be an Option that when you dont enter anything for "EditorFTP" and "EditorArchive" that Editor is allways used.
Surely! I meant this, but didn't say it explicitly.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

ado

Post by *ado »

I thing, if your [REQ2] will be implemented, this one is just "nice to have" - am I right?
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ado
I thing, if your [REQ2] will be implemented, this one is just "nice to have" - am I right?
Almost right. Of course, this feature will be less needed, but there still can be users who need it even when [REQ2] is implemented - that's why I posted it as a separate post. It can be useful e.g. when one want to use some specific editor that supports FTP-related features (CR+LF/CR/LF line ends, for example), but finds this editor inconvenient for working with usual files, and hence wish to use for them some other editor (which, maybe, does not support different line end styles).

(PS: That was just an example, I know that the problem with ends of lines can be solved by setting Text transfer mode in TC :) ).

SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2Flint
As a workaround, you can use ChoiceEditor
PS. Hmm... it says "[1.95c - 27.11.2004] - Project closed. Source code perish :(" ... what the ... ???!
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

SanskritFritz
I use this program in any case, but I don't see how it can help me... :( Of course, I can set for every file type two different editors, but I don't want to make selection of the approptiate editor every time I try to edit some file, I want all this to be done automatically. :)
PS. Hmm... it says "[1.95c - 27.11.2004] - Project closed. Source code perish " ... what the ... ???!
Sad but true... :( On the Russian part of the site (wincmd.ru) the author told that all the source code died. The latest (not though finished) version is 1.95c (which is on the site now).

SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2Flint
Sad but true... Sad On the Russian part of the site (wincmd.ru) the author told that all the source code died. The latest (not though finished) version is 1.95c (which is on the site now).
This is so ridiculous. No backups, whatsoever? This should be the perfect example of making free projects open source :roll:
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!