6.54 Problems

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Loren Pechtel

6.54 Problems

Post by *Loren Pechtel »

A while back I installed 6.54. I found it very unstable when moving a directory--it was prone to blowing up instead of killing the source directory when done. I went back to 6.53.

6.54a came along. I installed it, a few hours later it blew up while just sitting there.

What's going on? Your program is too good for that sort of thing!
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

NOT confirmed ...
I'm sitting here too, but nothing blows up :)

But serious: you have to be more specific to let us know what you mean by "blowing up".
#5767 Personal license
Loren Pechtel

Post by *Loren Pechtel »

Unfortunately I didn't get the error messages.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Moving a directory changes the hidden treeinfo.wc in the root of each drive. Maybe the file is damaged? Please try this:
1. Zip the file treeinfo.wc
2. Remove it
3. Try if the error is still there

If it's gone, then please send me the zipped treeinfo.wc by e-mail.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Loren Pechtel

Post by *Loren Pechtel »

Why would this affect 6.54 but not 6.53?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC 6.54 is intercepting lines in treeinfo.wc which are too long. I haven't seen any problems with this so far, but I cannot exclude that it is causing you these problems. But to verify that, I will need your treeinfo.wc - otherwise I cannot help you!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

BTW, several questions on treeinfo.wc:
is it created and updated by Windows, or by TC? (I suggest it's from TC because of its extension)
if I see that some folder is listed in this file, but I have no such a folder on my disk - is that a bug? can I freely delete those invalid entries?
F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab... - I like to move IT, move IT!..
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

XPEHOPE3KA
is it created and updated by Windows, or by TC?
By TC.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
chandragor

Post by *chandragor »

XPEHOPE3KA wrote:if I see that some folder is listed in this file, but I have no such a folder on my disk - is that a bug? can I freely delete those invalid entries?
It usually happens when you delete folders using Explorer instead of TC: TC doesn't know if someone else takes away folders "from under its feet".

Just press Alt-F10 in TC and then F2 (re-scan tree).

I don't know (read: I'm too lazy to try and find out) if there is some settings in Wincmd.ini which can keep treeinfo.wc synchronized with whatever you do (adding/deleting/renaming folders). Maybe some one else can help ?
Happy owner of license #12422 since 1997
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

2Flint
Thanks.
chandragor wrote:Just press Alt-F10 in TC and then F2 (re-scan tree)
It didn't help, even after restarting TC treeinfo.wc's date/time didn't change.

But if after F2 you'll enter any folder in that tree view - treeinfo.wc is updated.
F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab... - I like to move IT, move IT!..
chandragor

Post by *chandragor »

XPEHOPE3KA wrote:It didn't help, even after restarting TC treeinfo.wc's date/time didn't change.

But if after F2 you'll enter any folder in that tree view - treeinfo.wc is updated.
Well, in MY system (Windows98SE) treeinfo.wc's date/time DO get updated, and treeinfo.wc gets updated as well. Maybe you did it while the file list panel was on the root folder. I noticed that TC didn't refresh the content of the file list panel if you exit from the "Directory Tree" dialog by pressing ESC or the Cancel button, and it still showed the old date/time and file size until I manually refreshed its content by pressing F2.
Happy owner of license #12422 since 1997
Loren Pechtel

Post by *Loren Pechtel »

ghisler(Author) wrote:TC 6.54 is intercepting lines in treeinfo.wc which are too long. I haven't seen any problems with this so far, but I cannot exclude that it is causing you these problems. But to verify that, I will need your treeinfo.wc - otherwise I cannot help you!
Observation: I examined the file, there's no unreasonably long lines. I got rid of it anyway, there's nothing of any great importance in it. No blowups so far but I haven't done much of the operation most prone to blowing it up--moving an entire directory to another drive.
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

chandragor wrote:I don't know (read: I'm too lazy to try and find out) if there is some settings in Wincmd.ini which can keep treeinfo.wc synchronized with whatever you do (adding/deleting/renaming folders). Maybe some one else can help ?
Total Commander Help: Settings in the file wincmd.ini
TreeFileLocation=
Define different location of files treeinfo.wc, e.g. treefilelocation=c:\somedir\treeinfo%D%.wc
%D% is replaced by the drive letter (or root of share, \ replaced by _)
%R% is replaced by the root path
%L% is replaced by the volume label.
Please note that these variables MUST be upperase, otherwise TC will look for the environment variables with these names!

treefilelocationE=
Sets location of treeinfo file only for drive E. Only works if treefilelocation= is set too!

treefilelocation__server_share=
Sets location of treeinfo file only for drive \\server\share (treefilelocation= MUST be set too).
The shortkey [ALT+F10] and [F2] / [CTRL+R] should work without any of these settings, thx chandragor!

Total Commander Help: Show directory tree
...you can configure it in configuration - options - display (Always load complete directory tree)...
Loren Pechtel,
please give us more detailled info instead of "blowing up".
When Total Commander crashes, you will allways receive a error message.

Clicking on it, press [ALT] + [Print] will create a picture of that message in the clipboard.
Use IrfanView or another program to paste the content from the clipboard and save it as "png".
Send this with a short explanation to C.Ghisler for further investigation.
Or please type the text of the error message into your postings.

In most cases the "Installation-bugs" or "Cannot open Folders -bug" in Version 6.54(a) was caused by other programs (AntiVirus), fragmented disks, missing rights and: By the user.:)

Please reinstall Version 654a and let us know more details what happens.

Kind regards
Stance