English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

[REQ] Enter/BackSpace in dir/archive

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

Do the following:

Move to folder, which has enough subfolders to make vertical slider bar visible. Enter the last visible folder, then press backspace. Now the slider moved in some position so that the subfolder, you just backspaced of, is the fourth from below.

Same behaviour with archives (if they are treated as folders).

The question is: why fourth and not in the middle of panel?
For example, if you have say 50 subfolders and you are watching them one by one that *may* be inconvenient to look always at the bottom of screen (when you press BackSpace) while you were just looking at the top of it (when you press Enter) to see what was in these folders.

I suggest that should be configurable: one may want to see the folder n-th from top, n-th from bottom, in the middle or at its previous position.
F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab... - I like to move IT, move IT!..
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [REQ] Enter/BackSpace in dir/archive

Post by *Sheepdog »

XPEHOPE3KA wrote:Do the following:

Move to folder, which has enough subfolders to make vertical slider bar visible. Enter the last visible folder, then press backspace. Now the slider moved in some position so that the subfolder, you just backspaced of, is the fourth from below.
Not confirmed.
The question is: why fourth and not in the middle of panel?
It depends on how many files fit a row. E.g if there are 5 files in a row and the folder is on position 21 it will be on position 2 of the row (for the first position is occupied by the [..]). Please have a look at this animation.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

I'm using full view!
BTW, I have never used brief mode so I didn't thought about that.

BTW, I didn't explain the situation precisely. There should be more subfolders than fitted to panel+3 or 4.
Test on Program Files for sure.
F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab... - I like to move IT, move IT!..
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Oh, sorry I always mix up horizontal and vertical

Confirmed here.

So I don't know the reason for this behavior, but if it could be fixed easily I support it. Althouh I don't need this feature by myself.

sheepdog
Douglas Adams
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

Sheepdog wrote: I don't need this feature by myself
That's a pity.
Yeah, I think this is so insignificant feature to request, that Mr. Ghisler won't spend his precious time on it (no sarcasm here).
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

XPEHOPE3KA wrote:
Sheepdog wrote: I don't need this feature by myself
That's a pity.
Yeah, I think this is so insignificant feature to request, that Mr. Ghisler won't spend his precious time on it (no sarcasm here).
Oh I'm pretty sure he will have a look at his code. But I'd guess there is a reason why TC always uses the fourth file from bottom. So if it is easy to fix he will do it certainly but if it needs a huge part to re-program he will refrain, I think.

sheepdog
Douglas Adams
KevinMo

Post by *KevinMo »

A bit off topic, but I think it's similar to how different browser handle search in page. For example, if you search a phrase in IE, it jumps to the phrase, which will be displayed exactly at the bottom of the screen. However, Opera tends to put the phrase in the middle of the screen.

Both ways have their pros and cons. In the first way, you won't have trouble to find the phrase, but have to scroll down to see the context below. The 2nd way is just opposite.

Yeah, I agree it would be good if it's configurable :wink:
WatchUer

Post by *WatchUer »

The problem of showing the cursor at the fourth position form blow when backspace is indeed annoying, I think that before entering a subfolder, TC should remember the cursor's relative position in the current folder view, and when backspace TC then use the remembered relative position, so we can get the same folder view.
torhu

Post by *torhu »

Yes, would be better if the view didn't move if it didn't have to.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Actually it is intentional, so you can see the next 3 folders when browsing through them. It's not possible to remember the position - there are just too many ways how the folder could have been reached, sorry.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

n-th from top, n-th from bottom, in the middle or at its previous position
It's not possible to remember the position
And what about other three variants? That may be configured via one extra variable in wincmd.ini:
if it=6 then the folder will be 6-th from top,
if it=0 then folder in the middle,
if it=-4 or outside visible area then behave like now,

Remembering previous position is no good in fact, because one won't always keep that position in mind while browsing the subfolder.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

And what about other three variants?
Yes, this would be doable, no problem. I will consider it for TCv7.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

Just downloaded Club_total.zip and found out the following:

Consider situation with several nested archives:
when getting out of the deepest (say, D:\somepath\club_total.zip\clubtotal.free.fr\TC_Tools\tcTool_TC.Color.Toolkit_1.0.zip\tc_color10.zip) with backspace you can see contents of %temp%/_tc directory for a short time - so if you press backspace two times without almost any delay, you may find yourself in %temp%, not in upper archive (=D:\somepath\club_total.zip\clubtotal.free.fr\TC_Tools\tcTool_TC.Color.Toolkit_1.0.zip). Doubleclicking on .. gets to upper archive pretty fast, although %temp%/_tc *can* be seen in rare cases.

BTW: I (still browsing the deepest archive) doubleclicked on .. two times and found cursor placed on the last (or, in my case depending on the presence of buttonbar, right before last) position, not on the fourth.