Find Files

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

BigusDickus

Find Files

Post by *BigusDickus »

One task that I have to perform quite often is deleting certain files (in this case .bak files) that are older than (say) 30 days. I usually perform this task on a weekly basis, so I'm really only deleting a weeks worth of files at a time. But there can be thousands of them within that time period.

So I have two options, I can either select all of the bak files and figure out which files have met my criteria, or I can select find files "Date between:" (say) 1/1/1990 and then figure out the date 30 days before today, and this is not difficult, but I figured that since there is an option for files "Not Older than:" that there could also be a feature for file "Older Than:"

Is this a feasible request, or is it asking too much?

Thanks,
--
Bigus Dickus
MCNGP #51
www.MCNGP.com
van Dusen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *van Dusen »

As a first approach you could use a vbs-script for the ScriptWDX content plugin:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=78554#78554

It is in the german forum, but I think, that the script is self-explaining. If not, don't hesitate to ask.

This script shows the age of each file, by default splited to year-, month-, day-, hour-, minute- and second-fractions. If you like to get the fileage in days only, just change the line sDateDiffFmt = "JMThms" to sDateDiffFmt = "T"
WatchUer

Post by *WatchUer »

I support the "old than" feature request!
BigusDickus

Post by *BigusDickus »

van Dusen wrote: As a first approach you could use a vbs-script for the ScriptWDX content plugin:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=78554#78554

It is in the german forum, but I think, that the script is self-explaining. If not, don't hesitate to ask.

This script shows the age of each file, by default splited to year-, month-, day-, hour-, minute- and second-fractions. If you like to get the fileage in days only, just change the line sDateDiffFmt = "JMThms" to sDateDiffFmt = "T"
Thanks for the information, I'll give it a lookover. Still be nice to have that "Older Than:" feature though.
WatchUer wrote:I support the "old than" feature request!
Thanks, maybe others will too.
--
Bigus Dickus
MCNGP #51
www.MCNGP.com