synchronize & ftp speedlimited (background) tasks

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sorex

synchronize & ftp speedlimited (background) tasks

Post by *sorex »

Hello,

I love the build-in sync option especially that it can be done with an ftp site but...

what I wondered for a while is why the ftp transfer and in fact the general transfer speed can't be limited during a NON-background transfer.

on poor networks or highspeed networks with a slower speed ipvpn inbetween a filetransfer of a couple of hundreds megs between different sites can take a while, while remotely working on the machine gets almost impossible. limiting the copy speed to half the bandwidth will make it all more fun to do :wink:

as you noticed my thread started about the sync tool... when you set Always use background threats in the ftp option, it won't do that for the sync part of TC so no way to limit the speed there either. And a general ftp speed limit option and value is missing there aswell for non-bgrthreat transfers. (maybe it's added after 6.51?)

will this/these be added in some release?
WatchUer

Post by *WatchUer »

I support this feature request.
sorex

Post by *sorex »

Noticed something weird aswell, you have in the copy dialogue this Queue feature.

When I select that one I have the speed limit option but it doesn't do anything at all :?

Proof is here...

Image: http://www.inve.com/tc.gif
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You cannot limit copy operations to 5k/sec, the difference to the really possible copy speed is just too large - especially when using e.g. 10 MB blocks for copying!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
sorex

Post by *sorex »

you're right for the buffer read, but you could limit the write speed.

the sutuation here is that I need to copy software packages to our main distribution/deployment server and since it's doing that at full bandwidth everyone is complaining that the mail and other operations are slow aswell since they are on the same collocation, even browsing that server with TC becoms impossible due to the copy.

Limiting it to 50-75% of the bandwidth will solve a lot of problems, or we setup an ftp on that server than we can do it with TC aswell.