Why did you break Windows keyboard shortcut functionality?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bugmenot

Why did you break Windows keyboard shortcut functionality?

Post by *bugmenot »

All previous versions of Total Commander has had an excellent feature, where if you assign a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl-Alt-W in my case) to the Total Commander shortcut icon, the same instance of Total Commander will be re-activated whenever you press that shortcut.

This functionality is broken in 6.54, where pressing Ctrl-Alt-W for me starts a new instance. This severely limits the usefullness of Total Commander, so it would be nice if you could restore it.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Not confirmed here where it works fine.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Configuration / Options / Operation
x Allow only 1 copy of Total Commander at a time
Clo

Fine here---

Post by *Clo »

2bugmenot

:) Hello !

• Not confirmed here, works fine too.
- Indeed like Horst.Epp points out, I've :
Configuration >> Options>> Operation Allow only 1 copy of Total Commander at a time ticked !

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
bugmenot

Post by *bugmenot »

Sorry, I missed part of my description:

The whole deal is that I want to be able to run multiple instances - but only when I choose to. If I want to recall an instance, I use the keyboard shortcut. If I want to start a new instance, I click the icon. This is the way it has been working since 1997 (or so) when I first started using Windows Commander, and I'd really appreciate that behavior coming back. It's very handy.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

I made just some tests. It seems that windows behaves a little bit strange regarding those hotkeys. I remember that I've noticed that already long time ago and decided not to use thos windows Hotkeys.

Anyway. The way I know to assign those hotkeys is to edit the properties of the link on the desktop.

So you may try the following: Open the Properties and add the /O option to 'Target' line
c:\totalcmd\totalcmd.exe /O
Another attempt is to remove the shortcut (open properties, put the cursor to the shortcut line and press 'back').
Then log off and log on again. Then reassign the shortcut.

I get it working here, though I cannot use the shortcut to start more than one instances. (Neither with the /O option nor without). To start a second Instance I have always to click the shortcut.

To make it work properly I would recommend to use AutoHotkey
e.g the "AutoHotkey: Run or activate Total Commander (by SanskritFritz)" script. (Or did you use this already and have broken the TC-Path? )

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
bugmenot

Post by *bugmenot »

Excellent. Removing the keyboard shortcut, logging off / on and re-assigning the shortcut helped. I'll definitely be checking out AutoHotkey.

Thanks a million!
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Excellent. Removing the keyboard shortcut, logging off / on and re-assigning the shortcut helped.
I'm pleased to hear that.
I'll definitely be checking out AutoHotkey.
I'm pleased to hear that, too. AHK is an excellent tool that I don't want to miss anymore.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams