MP3 players

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Loren Pechtel

MP3 players

Post by *Loren Pechtel »

My MP3 player shows up in My Computer and can be opened like any other drive. Total Commander can't see it, though--probably because it doesn't get a drive letter. Any way to access it?
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Try to use the "cm_OpenDrives" command on a button or as main menu entry ...
#5767 Personal license
Loren Pechtel

Post by *Loren Pechtel »

:?: :?: :?: :?:
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2Loren Pechtel

"cm_SrcOpenDrives" is TCs internal command to display the drives of your PC, similar to Explorers 'My Computer'.

To add this button do the following:

1. right click an empty space on the buttonbar, click 'change'

2. In the showed dialog click 'append', the new button is inserted at the actual position (you can re-arrange icons by drag'n'drop in that dialog)

3. enter cm_SrcOpenDrives in the command-field

4. Choose an Icon you like to use and click 'OK'

Now when you click the new button all drives including your MP3player should be displayed in the file panel.
Loren Pechtel

Post by *Loren Pechtel »

This has exactly the same effect as bringing down the drop-down listing all the drives--and it's equally ineffective. The MP3 player doesn't get listed. In My Computer it's listed under "Audio Devices".
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, Loren.

Please, inside TC go to "Commands" => "Open Desktop Folder".
Still inside TC and inside the "Desktop Folder" go to "My Computer".
Is your MP3 player listed inside "My Computer"?

If it is and if you select it, can you see the MP3 files, open them?
In short, can you use the device from inside TC?

My (Thomson) MP3 player can be used as a normal harddisk (attached via USB), because it behaves like a harddisk and gets a drive letter. So no hassle for me.

But different manufacturer, different approach. It is possible that your MP3 player does not act like another harddisk and that it installed an Explorer "plugin" which integrates fine with Explorer, but which does not necessarily co-operate with other file managers.

It might be helpful to know the exact name of your MP3 player.

Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
Loren Pechtel

Post by *Loren Pechtel »

karlchen wrote:Hi, Loren.

Please, inside TC go to "Commands" => "Open Desktop Folder".
Still inside TC and inside the "Desktop Folder" go to "My Computer".
Is your MP3 player listed inside "My Computer"?

If it is and if you select it, can you see the MP3 files, open them?
In short, can you use the device from inside TC?
It's not there. The other odd device from the true "My Computer" is, though--my all-in-one. Obviously you can't do much with it, though.
My (Thomson) MP3 player can be used as a normal harddisk (attached via USB), because it behaves like a harddisk and gets a drive letter. So no hassle for me.
Accessed via Windows mine looks like a normal HD, I've used normal drag-and-drop to put files on it. It does *NOT* get a letter, though.
But different manufacturer, different approach. It is possible that your MP3 player does not act like another harddisk and that it installed an Explorer "plugin" which integrates fine with Explorer, but which does not necessarily co-operate with other file managers.
I think you pinned it down here. I didn't think of a plug-in, it looked like Windows itself doing it but it might not be.
It might be helpful to know the exact name of your MP3 player.

Karl
It ID's as a "SanDisk Sansa m250". The icon doesn't match the player, though, I sure thought it was a Windows icon.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The Sansa supports two modes: MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) mode and MSC (Mass Storage Class) mode. MTP is used on Windows XP SP1 or later with Media Player 10, and is needed to transfer protected music to the player. The MSC mode is used to access the player via a drive letter. Programs like Total Commander can access the player only when in TSC mode.

I haven't found out yet how it can be switched to MSC mode - perhaps there is some info in the manual, or on their web site.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Loren Pechtel

Post by *Loren Pechtel »

ghisler(Author) wrote:The Sansa supports two modes: MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) mode and MSC (Mass Storage Class) mode. MTP is used on Windows XP SP1 or later with Media Player 10, and is needed to transfer protected music to the player. The MSC mode is used to access the player via a drive letter. Programs like Total Commander can access the player only when in TSC mode.

I haven't found out yet how it can be switched to MSC mode - perhaps there is some info in the manual, or on their web site.
Manual?? That's a total joke!

At least that's a point of attack. I'll see what I can find. Thanks.
nicol

Post by *nicol »

example found on Packard Bell site (french) :
http://service.packardbell.fr/items/?PibItemNr=instr_vibe500_connections&PibItemParent=platform_vibe500#show

Mode appareil mobile (MTP-Media Transfer Protocole)
Lorsque le lecteur est allumé avant d'être connecté à l'ordinateur, il est en mode appareil mobile MTP. (mp3 player powered on before conncting to PC)
Le mode MPT prend uniquement en charge le Lecteur Windows Media 10. Pour des performances optimales du lecteur, vous devez utiliser le mode MTP pour synchroniser vos fichiers musicaux avec le Lecteur Windows Media 10.

Mode périphérique de stockage de masse (PSM)
Lorsque le lecteur est allumé une fois qu'il est connecté à l'ordinateur, il est en mode périphérique de stockage de masse.
(MP3 player powered only after connecting to PC)
Si vous utilisez le Lecteur Windows Media 9, vous pouvez synchroniser vos fichiers musicaux en mode PSM. En mode PSM, le lecteur fonctionne comme un disque dur, et vous pouvez transférer des fichiers de données (en dehors des fichiers musicaux) entre le lecteur et l'ordinateur à l'aide de l'Explorateur Windows.

somebody can confirm this on all MP3 players ?

thanks
Christian