[REQ] Renaming Macfiles with funny characters

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Airon

[REQ] Renaming Macfiles with funny characters

Post by *Airon »

I get the occasional batch of files from MacOSX workstations. They contain characters like '*' for example.

In Windows these character are displayed as something else. I can manualy (SHIFT+F6 or slow double mouse click) rename them, but the renamer of TC cannot find the files.

Is there a way to make the Renamer in TC smarter to handle such files? I can provide an example if needed.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

The trouble is that the "*" char is used under Windows and DOS as Joker or Wildcard for any char. Thus such names are not recognized properly by the OS.

What you can try is the following:

Create a new button with the internal command "cm_SwitchLongNames" what switches the display in TC from long to 8.3 names (and back).

If the fiels have an 8.3 correspondence in the FAT you can rename the 8.3 nnames what would 'destroy' the corresponding long names. After that you could switch back to the long names display and give the files a proper Windows conform name.

It's a bit tricky but in this case I don't see another solution.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
Olfert

Post by *Olfert »

I have a similar problem (although not on a mac but a pc with xp) with japanese filenames - the simple rename (Shift+F6) works ok but multirename don't. And switching long filenames on or off doesn't work either. I often have to work with japanese filenames so a "workaround", "update" or "bug-fix" is most welcome.