Replacing default windows file manager with totalcmd

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pasteau

Replacing default windows file manager with totalcmd

Post by *pasteau »

How can i replace standard file manager by totalcmd? I was searching the net using google and nothing. I would to do that, the directories will be opened by default with totalcmd, but not by ugly windows explorer.

Thank you!
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Replacing default windows file manager with totalcmd

Post by *wanderer »

pasteau wrote:How can i replace standard file manager by totalcmd?
The closest think to what you want to do (at least the closest i know about) is the procudure i describe below. If i remember correctly, Christian posted a link to this file in this forum sometime ago. If you don't feel comfortable about performing the procedure i describe, try searching for the link in this forum.

- Open notepad
- Paste the following lines in it (without the Code: of course :) ):

Code: Select all

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Open in TotalCmd]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Open in TotalCmd\command]
@=""C:\\Program Files\\TotalCmd\\TotalCmd.exe" /n "%1""
- Save the file as "anyname.reg". Remember to save it as plain ANSI-text, not unicode or anything else.
- execute "anyname.reg" from the explorer. If windows ask you to confirm if you wish to add the entries to the registry, reply Yes

Now, when you rightclick on a folder, along with the Explore option in the rightclick menu, you will also see a Open in TotalCmd one. If anyone else has a better solution, i'd be interested to see it too.

P.S.: If you have installed TotalCmd elsewhere, instead of C:\\Program Files\\TotalCmd\\TotalCmd.exe, you should put the exact location of TotalCmd, just remember to put two backslashes instead of one in the path (as shown above). Leave everything else exactly as is or this will not work.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
pasteau

Post by *pasteau »

no, it is not thing what i think about.

E.g. i have a dir, or a shortcut to a dir on a desktop. I clicking on it left mouse button twice, or pushing 'enter' on it, and windows explorer opens -- i wonna totalcmd instead of windows explorer.

Now, you know what i mean? ;)

Everything what i expect, is a reg key where to place totalcmd.exe %*, i realy have no idea where it can be.

Thanks ;)
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

pasteau wrote:no, it is not thing what i think about.

E.g. i have a dir, or a shortcut to a dir on a desktop. I clicking on it left mouse button twice, or pushing 'enter' on it, and windows explorer opens -- i wonna totalcmd instead of windows explorer.

Now, you know what i mean? ;)

Everything what i expect, is a reg key where to place totalcmd.exe %*, i realy have no idea where it can be.

Thanks ;)

Well I think wanderer is right. His registry setting creates the popup menu entry "Open in TotalCmd" for directories. Left clicking twice or pushing 'enter' just executes the default popup menu entry which is always shown in bold font. The default setting is set to "explorer".
You can use Explorer to change the default setting for the popup menu. I can't give you a complete description of this because I have a german Windows XP Pro version. :D It tried it on my machine and it works fine!
I don't know the registry key(s) to do that. Maybe someone else knows these keys.
You could use Regmon to monitor changes to the registry while applying the changes using the explorer.
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

Take a look to default values in the following keys:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Folder/shell/open/command/

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Folder/shell/explore/command/

and try to change it the way you want.

If it works, please, don't forget to talk it us.
on

Post by *on »

i already started a thread about this problem 6 months ago but it's removed i don't know why. i tried to change the regkeys of open and explore shell extension for TC and (for example) it didn't work when i clicked the 'Open folder' button in a Download dialog of Internet Explorer. nevermind.
nobody could help me and Christian said it's not really possible because TC can't handle the same cmdline 'variables' as explorer can.
maybe it's fixed in 5.51 but i haven't heard of this fix.
i don't really understand why it didn't work even if i didn't think about it too much.
on

Post by *on »

anyway it should work, and you should try to set "Open in TotalCmd"as default command in Folder options. Good luck!
on

Post by *on »

it'll work on folders but it's recommended to set up a separated TC with a different wincmd.ini for this action to make available a TC which is running only as 1 instance (if you use TC open any window.
I tried it, very good but such buttons like 'Open folder' button of Internet Explorer Download dialog won't open TC.
pasteau

Post by *pasteau »

Ok, i've got this! ;)

I was analyze the free version of powerdesk which can do thing about we talking.

The solution is:
in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Folder/shell/ set default value to something friendly for totalcmd, e.g. 'TC'.
If you set to 'TC', then create key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Folder/shell/TC/command/ and set it's default value to a path to totalcmd, e.g. C:\totalcmd\totalcmd.exe %1

And all works fine ;) [below is the content of the .reg file which you can fill by copy&paste -- but don't forget about changing your path to TC]

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell]
@="TC"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\TC]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\TC\command]
@="C:\\totalcmd\\totalcmd.exe %1"
Thanks for your answers ;)
pasteau

Post by *pasteau »

emm... wait a moment. It's not already done. As i see, totalcmd opens as i talk, but panes aren't set in a suitable place. I'm working on it now, so be patient.
on

Post by *on »

pasteau wrote:emm... wait a moment. It's not already done. As i see, totalcmd opens as i talk, but panes aren't set in a suitable place. I'm working on it now, so be patient.
it's easy, check the Command line parameters section of Help of TC.
/L switch is for Left pane, /R is right, etc.
you may add two RegKeys with names like:
"Open in Left Pane" and "Open in Right Pane"
or left is default... hundreds of possibilities you have ;-)

please forget my stupid comment about using two wincmd.ini.
pasteau

Post by *pasteau »

Ok, now it's done ;)

Below is a correct content of the .reg file

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell]
@="TC"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\TC]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\TC\command]
@="\"C:\\totalcmd\\totalcmd.exe\" \"%1\""
ps.
'on' it was not a problem with argument what i tried to pass but with reg value, which cause that, the system couldn't pass the correct value to a totalcmd.exe. But now it's all right ;)

ps2.
funny, the solution is very similar to that what wanderer was proposed ;)

ps3.
i suggest to include option to a ,,replace'' windows explorer by totalcmd in further version of TC.
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Good job, pasteau (and the others) :-)
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
Jonas

Post by *Jonas »

pasteau wrote:i suggest to include option to a ,,replace'' windows explorer by totalcmd in further version of TC.
Yes, esspetialy for undoing too!

So the only thing we need now is a possibility to replace the std. windows file-open dialoge with TC, but I think this isn't pollible using the Reg. :(
In an earlier thread aoubt this Christian said that he thinks that the power of TC are the two windows and the ability of copying/moving/etc. files between them (german: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=7508#7508)
But I think that also a one-window-TC would have more power than the win file.open dialog. eg. the sortingmodes (win doesn't save them), the quickserarch (Alt-'letter'), the history the bookmarks in Ctrl-D etc....
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

OK, after such a cool replacement (TC<->explorer) let's make another step ahead. It is possible to "integrate" TC to Internet Explorer's right click menu. As downloaders (FlashGeet, GetRight etc.) do: "Download with TC" or "Open with TC" for ftp links.
Reg editing wont help.
I guess it requires a plugin for IE or at least VBScripting skills. May be someone could do it?