[bug tc 6.55 pb1] Program folders is not writeable

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

madcat

[bug tc 6.55 pb1] Program folders is not writeable

Post by *madcat »

i already had this problem with earlyer versions (6.54a + 6.54a patched) but because i read that 6.55 should preform better on vista i though "let's give it a try"

I installed 6.55 on vista beta 2 build 5384 and the icons look much better then on a patched 6.54 version.
but vista has a strange new implementation of user rights, for every (importent) file action the user has to be informed and grant or deny access.

This is the case when a file is written to C:\Program files\
creating a new folder in this directory is also denied.

when i press "f7" to create a new directory, i fill in a name and i get an error "Error: Directory [NAME]" not created

when i move a random file with F5 to C:\program files\ i get the error:
Error: Cannot write C:\program files\FILE! Please remove the write protection {skip/abort/retry}

when i move a file from TC to explorer i get a notice that i need to use my administrator privileges and press "continue"
i guess total commander should hook into this rights system with TC7

i have uploaded a picture for the warnings i get from vista when i use the explorer and the error i get from TC
error of total commander
Image: http://madcat2.student.utwente.nl/pic/tc_error.PNG
Warnings from vista when useing explorer (upper picture first, when pressed continue the one below is shown)
Image: http://madcat2.student.utwente.nl/pic/Warning1.PNG
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

r u working as admin under vista ?
btw how usefull is a beta test on a os beta ? :D
Hoecker sie sind raus!
madcat

Post by *madcat »

Oh well i'm pritty sure this will be implemented on the final version of vista, which (hopefully) will ship in a few months.
it's kind of a bummer to see that total commander is not working on the "golden version" of vista. everything is better then useing the ugly windows explorer :P (and yes, even beta testting a beta program under a beta OS)
So when the next version of TC is released i sure will test it on vista again.

and yes i'm administator under vista, and as i was saying it works perfectly fine under windows explorer.
The new user access should be implemented on total commander if it has to be compatiable with vista
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

when i press "f7" to create a new directory, i fill in a name and i get an error "Error: Directory [NAME]" not created

when i move a random file with F5 to C:\program files\ i get the error:
Error: Cannot write C:\program files\FILE! Please remove the write protection {skip/abort/retry}
Apparently you didn't quite understand the new VISTA rights management: Even Admins are NOT allowed to write to "c:\program files" when the program is run with restricted rights. To create anything under "c:\program files", you need to run Total commander by right clicking on its desktop icon and choosing "Run as administrator".

There is a trick to copy files to "c:\program files" anyway: You can copy them with copy+paste (Ctrl+C Ctrl+V). Windows will then ask you whether you want to grant TC the right to copy the file although the folder is restricted.

I plan to implement something similar in TC7, but this will require a lot of changes to the program (a new separate EXE will be required which then runs with full admin rights), so I didn't want to put it into TC 6.55. Unfortunately there seems to be no function yet to determine whether the program was started with full admin rights or not. Maybe this will change in Vista final...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
frenky

Post by *frenky »

2Sir_SiLvA
OT
The Only RSS-Feed you need: http://dwlt.net/tapestry/dilbert.rdf
Ambiguity succeeds where honesty dares not venture.