English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

chandragor

[BUG?] - Ctrl-Left click on other panel selects TWO files

Post by *chandragor »

Try this:

1) single click on any file in a file panel
2) Ctrl-left click any file on the other file panel

Now you have TWO files selected on the second panel, the one you clicked in step 2 and the one on which the cursor were before.

I don't now if this is a bug or not, but one can miss it if he has a long list of files and the two selected files are not both visible at the same time.

I'm using TC 6.54a.
Happy owner of license #12422 since 1997
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

Usually I get much more files selected. It selects from that file cursor was on to that file I just have clicked. (All between become selected too).

But sometimes I can confirm that behaviour: e.g. when I get rid of the selection with ctrl+Num- (on each panel - to be sure) BEFORE testing this bug.
TC6.55pb1.
F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab... - I like to move IT, move IT!..
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

XPEHOPE3KA wrote:Usually I get much more files selected. It selects from that file cursor was on to that file I just have clicked. (All between become selected too).
That is what shift-leftclick does.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

Oops, wasn't looking at the keyboard :oops:

Yes, bug confirmed now.
F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab... - I like to move IT, move IT!..
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

If there would be something like a inactive cursor the behavior would be okay...
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2Lefteous

Yeah, an inactive cursor really would be nice.
WatchUer

Post by *WatchUer »

Lefteous wrote:If there would be something like a inactive cursor the behavior would be okay...
Yes, there should be a inactive cursor!
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

That inactive cursor will confuse most users. For now to see whether a panel is active I look for cursor :)
And the panel header is disableable AFAIK, so having two cursors at a time will be confusing UNLESS there would be colour differentiation of active/inactive & home/remote panels.
I vote for implementig all these THREE requests. :D
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2XPEHOPE3KA
That inactive cursor will confuse most users.
How do you know this :?
Look at the inactive cursor in Explorer. No confusion at all - the opposite is true.
For now to see whether a panel is active I look for cursor
It can be a hint but it's not reliable because the cursor can be scrolled out. So you really scroll until you found the cursor?
And the panel header is disableable AFAIK
It's quite silly to do this.
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

2Lefteous
How do you know this
What is cursor? Normally it is a rectangle over a panel entry. How do you want inactive cursor to be like? Like another rectangle? Of specifiable colour?
By default the cursor is black. When there would be an inactive cursor what colour should it be? Not black, because one may easily confuse it with the real one. Not grey (and the like light colours) because it can be indistinguishable on the white background. Not any bright colour, because bright will always attract people more than black (so inactive cursor will be more attractive than active :?).
The only thing is left: the active cursor shouldn't be black by default. It should be bright to attract. What colour should be inactive cursor then? Not black, because the active cursor used to be black...

These are all questions of choice & I doubt that alpha-testers at beta forum (:)) will choose most comfortable colouring.

Actually, what do you think of this, Lefteous?
UNLESS there would be colour differentiation of active/inactive & home/remote panels.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Lefteous,
It's quite silly to do this.
I disagree.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

Hacker
I disagree.
Why?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Why not?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Hacker
The answer is in the post above. You cannot see which is the active side in all cases because the cursor can be out of view.
In addition you cannot see the current paths.
Thanks for your detailed arguments ;-)

2XPEHOPE3KA
What is cursor? Normally it is a rectangle over a panel entry.
That's a quite technical definition. A cursor in a list is something visual which indicates the current position. I'm using the inverted cursor.
How do you want inactive cursor to be like? Like another rectangle? Of specifiable colour?
By default the cursor is black. When there would be an inactive cursor what colour should it be? Not black, because one may easily confuse it with the real one. Not grey (and the like light colours) because it can be indistinguishable on the white background. Not any bright colour, because bright will always attract people more than black (so inactive cursor will be more attractive than active Confused).
The only thing is left: the active cursor shouldn't be black by default. It should be bright to attract. What colour should be inactive cursor then? Not black, because the active cursor used to be black...
Well start Explorer and test if you think the inactive cursor is confusing.

To make it clear: It doesn't make sense to discuss about inactive cursor or not because there actually is an inactive cursor. It's just not visible.
These are all questions of choice & I doubt that alpha-testers at beta forum (Smile) will choose most comfortable colouring.
Well as you don't have any clue what is going on in the beta forum you shouldn't make any speculations. Just a subtle hint: The need for a good inactive cursor colors will not be decreased in TC 7... :)
Of course any color must be customizable but there must also be an appropriate default color for each element.
Actually, what do you think of this, Lefteous?
I'll answer in the other thread someday.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Lefteous,
The answer is in the post above.
the cursor can be scrolled out
It's quite silly to do that.

Roman