Some question/consideration about Total Commander

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Frost

Some question/consideration about Total Commander

Post by *Frost »

Hello there,
I just download and install this file browser and I've already understood it has a lot of potential!

But I notice 2 weird fact in this sw:

1) if you right click on a file, it will become red, no popup menu appears (menu like in Windows Explorer). So you have to use mouse+keyboard to do all functions regarding file and folders (except drag & drop).

2) Fortunately I know how to paste (control+v). I cannot see any info/button/shortcut to do this.

ok, newbie corner.
I would like to know how to:

- create a new file in the current folder
- create a new document (notepad) in the current folder
- how to see File Dimension in the results of a Search (alt+F7)
- if it's possible to edit the bottom panel (the one with F3 view....etc)
- how to add quick buttons to my partition (exemple button "c:" )

I would like to use mouse gesture to go forward/back, create file/folder... I feel better using them in Opera, I think they can be useful in a file browser.

Thanks in advance

Frost
KevinMo

Post by *KevinMo »

weird behaviors:
1) Hold right mouse button for a while, context menu will pops up. You can change this in "Options->Operation->mouse selection mode".
2) emmm. You can always make a menu, or button for something like this.

1&2. shift+f4
3. Have a custom column to show path, then search->feed to list box
4. you can change F# key's function at Options->Misc->Redefine hotkeys
5. Options->Layout->Drive Buttons

TC doesn't natively support mouse gesture, you have to use 3rd party softwares such as autohotkey or strokeit. See the wiki page for details.
Frost

Post by *Frost »

1&2. shift+f4
hehe very strange way, but It works well ;)
3. Have a custom column to show path, then search->feed to list box
It not works perfectly. When I click on feed to list box, I can see only path. After that if I change view, I can see also dimension, filename...
But it's a long procedure...

Another question....

when I use Copy function and I haven't any tab with the destination folder, I use Queue function (F2) after Copy (F5). But when I find the right folder and paste that file into, it doesn't work. Any suggestion?

Thanks for your answers :)

Frost
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Frost wrote:when I use Copy function and I haven't any tab with the destination folder, I use Queue function (F2) after Copy (F5). But when I find the right folder and paste that file into, it doesn't work. Any suggestion?
Backgroud copy isn't supposed to work that way. It's mainly meant to copy files one after another to avoid fragmentation of the files. If you trigger the copy of e.g. 5 files from different locations to one destination the OS will have to fragment them. The BTM simply does not start the copy of the next file before the first one has finished.

SO maybe what you need is [Alt]+[F10] which opens a dialog with the tree of the current drive. There you can search for the right destination by typing the name. If you press 'enter' the selected path will put to the copy dialog.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

2Frost
Please, forget forever that copy&paste technique! In TC one should use F5 for copying & F6 for moving. Copy & paste should be used ONLY when you have problems with F5 or F6.

If you want to use templates for creating a file (like for doc & xls files) you can press the right mouse button in these two situatuions and then choose "New" entry there:
1. When the mouse cursor is below all the files & directories in a panel (between the last panel entry and the status bar); this way needs fontsize customisation ;)
2. When the cursor is at the panel header (it looks like a "strip" containing the path of the current directory).
F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab... - I like to move IT, move IT!..