Total Commander 6.55a

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

IsoNick

Total Commander 6.55a

Post by *IsoNick »

Just got a notification of a Total Commander 6.55a released from BetaNews. But can't find anything about here at the site or in the forum. Is it official?
IsoNick \\
Reach out and touch someone
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

IsoNick wrote:Is it official?
Yes, it is.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Yes - If its on BetaNews its official as BN is a Official TC-Download-Site
Hoecker sie sind raus!
IsoNick

Post by *IsoNick »

Now I installed it, but the version info still says 6.55 26.7.2006. Hmmm
IsoNick \\
Stitscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stitscher »

IsoNick

Post by *IsoNick »

Ahhh thanks.
IsoNick \\
Superflow

Post by *Superflow »

That's not right at all! When you release a new version you also update the About box so people can see which version they have installed. End of story.

:evil:

P.S. I registered just to say this.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

The version has not changed. Only the SFX header of the ZIP packer.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Superflow

Post by *Superflow »

FileForum says otherwise. That Total Commander blog says otherwise. The History.txt says otherwise.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Dude, what are you talking about? Please, inform yourself and stop spreading nonsense.
History.txt wrote:23.10.06 Release Total Commander 6.55a final
23.10.06 Fixed: To unpack self-extracting archives created with TC6.55 on Windows XP, right click on them, choose properties and turn on Windows 2000 compatibility mode
23.10.06 Fixed: After installing Microsoft security update KB923191, self-extracting ZIP archives no longer start. -> updated sfxhead.sfx
FileForum wrote:Latest Changes:
This is a bug fix release. The only change is in the ZIP self-extractor, which failed to start after a recent Windows security update. The main program is unchanged and still appears as version 6.55
Icfu
This account is for sale
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed I'm currently sending Total Commander 6.55a to various sites, and Betanews was of course the fastest again. The only reason for this release is the non-functioning zip-self-extractor in TC6.55. If I had also recompiled the main EXE, I would have had to start a new beta test to avoid that new bugs are compiled in, which would have taken at least one month (and delayed TC7 by that time). I plan to bring out the first public beta of TC7 in the next few days, and don't want to delay it for another small release like TC6.55a...

If you already have TC 6.55, you do NOT need 6.55a - instead please get the hotfix only:
http://www.ghisler.com/sfxprob.htm
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

IsoNick wrote:Now I installed it, but the version info still says 6.55 26.7.2006. Hmmm
Yes, IsoNick, exactly, Betanews says so (cf. Total Commander 6.55a):
This is a bug fix release. The only change is in the ZIP self-extractor, which failed to start after a recent Windows security update. The main program is unchanged and still appears as version 6.55
Reading skills may not be required to survice, yet they prove helpful from time to time. :wink:
Superflow wrote:That's not right at all! When you release a new version you also update the About box so people can see which version they have installed. End of story.
:evil:
P.S. I registered just to say this.
Superflow, you might have saved your time and used it for more sensible things if this really was the only reason to register.

It has all been discussed before in this forum. So actually no need to come and make a fuss about nothing, my young friend. :roll:

End of the story NOW.

Karl
DarkRuleR

Post by *DarkRuleR »

Hi,

Why name a fix "Total Commander 6.55a".
Call it wat it is and name it for example "Total Commander 6.55 SFX-Selfextract Fix".

Doing it this way only causes more confusing I think.

I also was searching at first for the new version number in the about box.
This is my check to see if the installation went fine.

After reading this post I got it.
But not all users access this forum.

Just my 2 cents...

Greetz,

DR...
#106383 Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

I think, it's better to treat "Total Commander 6.55a" as the name/version of the package (TC itself, installer, all additional files etc), not of the TC executable only...
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Some users would also complain if the package would have been named Total Commander 6.55 SFX-Selfextract Fix because then they would check the about box for Total Commander 6.55 SFX-Selfextract Fix, I am sure.

So, why not call the release Total Commander 6.55 with exchanged sfxhead.sfx which is only used for creating self-extracting zip-archives and doesn't include a change in the about box because the fuckin' name is too long?

Maybe this would help but I am afraid that Superflow would still have registered. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale