[wish] Renaming files within the "Synchronize Dirs"

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

HighLight

[wish] Renaming files within the "Synchronize Dirs"

Post by *HighLight »

I have to synchronize some dirs. between my work comp. and home comp. Directory structures are same on both but some files have different names. I do Sync.Dir. regardless of "by content" option and the files with different names are listed on both sides which are intended to be copied to other side. Since I know two of them are identical, I only have to equalize their names. To do so, I open a second instance of TC (hence Sync.Dir. form is modal, unfortunately), go to the dirs on both side, and then, in order of: find the file in list -> Shift+F6 on the file -> Ctrl+C -> Esc -> Tab -> find the other file to be renamed -> Shift+F6 again -> Ctrl+V -> and Enter, eventually. And I have to do these all for all of files to be renamed! What a pain in the neck, isn't it?

It would be very useful (and life-saver for me) that if I can select only two files on left and right sides of the comparison list and then right-click and select a sub-menu from the popup menu which may contains these sub-items for example: "rename to right", "rename to left", "rename left", "rename right", etc.
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

Support. This way one could rename some files on one side to *.old or similar before copying something.
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

Update: this can already be achieved using the existing overwrite dialog (Button "Rename" or Button "More Options" + "rename existing target file").

2HighLight: The problem would probably be that your identical files don't appear in the same lines, because of their different file names.
So how would you like to tell TC, which file on the right belongs to which on the left?
HighLight

Post by *HighLight »

StatusQuo wrote: 2HighLight: The problem would probably be that your identical files don't appear in the same lines, because of their different file names.
So how would you like to tell TC, which file on the right belongs to which on the left?
Thank you for your reply. I think I did tell how this would be:
HighLight wrote:It would be very useful (and life-saver for me) that if I can select only two files on left and right sides of the comparison list and then right-click and select a sub-menu from the popup menu which may contains these sub-items for example: "rename to right", "rename to left", "rename left", "rename right", etc.
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

Ah, now I get it. If I understand right, this would mean either that

- the marker has to be split to not mark both sides, but only the file on one side
or
- this command is only available if the user has marked exactly two lines
HighLight

Post by *HighLight »

Yes, you're right. The second way you wrote is more easy to implement I think. Besides, in the condition I mentioned, there would be only one file on the left or on the right side since they are same files with different names.

I hope this functionality will be implemented. It would be very useful, don't you think?
sas2000
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sas2000 »

HighLight wrote: I hope this functionality will be implemented.
Support +

StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

It would be very useful, don't you think?
Yes, still Support+.

But it's only half of the way: You can't rename folders in Sync Dirs (which I have to do more often here).
So synchronizing a re-structured tree would be a problem that has to be solved outside this function - or using Sync in asymmetric mode, if delete+copy is acceptable.
seb-
Location: DE\BN - only part time TC user after switching to Linux ;)

Post by *seb- »

Any news on this feature?

Just realized it would have helped me...

yes, i also found out that i can rename files as soon as the overwrite dialog appears, but i love to manage the synchronisation by choosing file by file in the compared list.

If the context menu would have "rename left / right" then users can rename files that conflict each other before the sync starts - which i think is always the best.

So.. any news? :) thx

WTF... just realized that it is possible to rename files in sync compare list by pressing Shift+F6 ... Why is there no Context Menu entry?

Is it possible to add this per default?