CTRL-Z for "Undo" command

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

klausm

CTRL-Z for "Undo" command

Post by *klausm »

Is there any possibility in TC to make this available ???

It is very useful command in Explorer ie. when you delate any file you can press Ctrl-Z and it is back.
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

ctrl+z is an internal shortcut for file comment edit window invoking. As far as i know TC does not have "undo" feature so you can not assign ztrl+z to missing "undo" command.
But you can request "undo" as a wish for future versions of TC.
Such a feature is related with another one discussed here:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=235
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

There's been a big discussion about this in the old forum... people involved do certainly remember... ;)

Anywyays, AFAIK Christian said it would be too complex.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
klausm

Post by *klausm »

Thanks for replies. It's a pity that it is to complex. Ho to find this topic. I tried serch for "undo" but I have got zero post.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Well, as I said, it's been in the old forum, situated at http://www.eforum.de/ . However, that forum crashed early this year and now we have www.ghisler.ch/board/ .

:)

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

just make sure you don't make mistakes, mate ;p

As long as you delete to recycle bin and not completely, restoring any file shouldn't be a problem, but I certainly see the advantages of Ctrl+Z
license #76904
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

Remembering the original discussion quite vividly I still stick to the following:
1. If you aren't sure -> don't delete.

2. If you're prone to making mistakes:
___a. Enable Recycle Bin
___b. Enable Warnings
___c. BACKUP your data

3. You deleted a very important file by mistake -> learn from the mistake (to memorize the lesson better a more valuable file might be needed)

4. As a last resort keep restoring program (on a CD, so you won't delete it)

5. If all else fails; Try buying a virtual environment PC-card, there are quite a few available.

Cheers.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Hacker wrote:There's been a big discussion about this in the old forum... people involved do certainly remember... ;)

Anywyays, AFAIK Christian said it would be too complex.

Yeah! It was a memorable bloody epic war! ;)

I love TC and I hate Explorer that goes support this feature. So, it is feasible for implementation.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 09-05-2003 13:04:43 +0000 Hacker wrote:

Congratulations with Victory Day, brothers.

H> There's been a big discussion about this in the old forum...
H> people involved do certainly remember...

Actually according to it's name that thread was about logging, not undo, Jedi ;). Well, I do hope "people involved" do made appropriate conclusions from that discussion...

H> Anywyays, AFAIK Christian said it would be too complex.

AFAIK (correct me if I wrong) Christian didn't participated in that thread.

2klausm
Actually, what operation undo you talking about exactly?[/face]
Leif

Re: CTRL-Z for "Undo" command

Post by *Leif »

klausm wrote:It is very useful command in Explorer ie. when you delate any file you can press Ctrl-Z and it is back.
http://grandutils.com/Back2Life4TC/
klausm

Post by *klausm »

I am talking about simple shortcut Ctrl+Z in Explorer which can ie. fast undelate files instead of open Recycle Bin and undelate/restore it, or unmove files instead of ... etc.

This "back2life" looks very useful but I am using only NTFS partitions. BTW do you know similar /and simple/ soft for NTFS ?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Black Dog,

Congratulations with Victory Day, brothers.

Thanks and same to you. :)

H> There's been a big discussion about this in the old forum...
H> people involved do certainly remember...
Actually according to it's name that thread was about logging, not undo, Jedi ;).

I was referring to the content, which is probably more important than the title. ;)

H> Anywyays, AFAIK Christian said it would be too complex.
AFAIK (correct me if I wrong) Christian didn't participated in that thread.

I did not say he participated in that thread. However I remember someone saying he mailed Christian concerning this and Christian responded that logging would be too complex.

Roman
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The problem with undo is that it gives you a false feeling of security. In most cases, undo is not possible, e.g. when you delete directly, or when you overwrite files during copying or unpacking...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

But if file was deleted to recycle bin? Undo from TC could be the easiest way to restore it.
jb

Post by *jb »

klausm wrote:This "back2life" looks very useful but I am using only NTFS partitions. BTW do you know similar /and simple/ soft for NTFS ?
Back2Life V2.2 does support NTFS, unlike Back2Life for TC V2.1, but it costs 35 USD.

I'm using Undelete V3.0 from Executive Software. It costs 30 USD and it is a companion product to the quite popular Diskeeper V7.0 (disk defragmenter). Undelete V3.0 does not only supplement, but replace the Windows Recycle Bin by something with more flexibility.

R-UNDELETE from R-tools Technology is alternative for 55 USD. Last year I read good critics about R-Studio V2.0, which includes R-UNDELETE. As a special bonus R-UNDELETE also supports Ext2FS (a Linux file system).

AFAIK there are similar tools from Sysinternals and Winternals.
Last edited by jb on 2003-05-12, 12:02 UTC, edited 2 times in total.