Saving the marking of files and/or folder

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Do you mean storing selections internally, or to a file?
I meant internally like TC currently works although with the flexibility I’ve described.

Please, Christian have a look here: ftp://ftp.altap.cz/pub/altap/salamand/sal25b1.exe
to see the functionality in practice. It’s a beta version of Servant Salamander which comes without the corresponding help file for more detailed information but you can easily test the approach of storing and restoring selection lists (internally that is).

Although TC has to perform a file operation in order to save a selection a user-definable point for restoration extends its functionality and eliminates the need to perform a file operation in order to save the selection. In this way users will be able to restore selections even if they just change folders. I wouldn’t want to eliminate the current behavior of TC because in some cases it’s a useful automation but rather extend its functionality by adding a user-definable point of file selection restoration if you know what I mean. Of course the coexistence of an automatic plus a user-definable approach can lead one overwriting the other one but this is not a problem since the user will anyway need to restore the last selection he/she performed. If he/she needs to restore an older one… well this is another story and it’s a totally new function which needs time to implement and should be left for the future if it becomes popular! ;)

Have a look at Servant Salamander’s approach (v2.5 beta 1). It just uses two keyboard shortcuts, one to save internally the current selection and one to restore it (the later like TC). Simple yet effective.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I have just added the storing of a selction to a file, and will also add storing it internally (by calling the already existing function used when copying).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Thanks a lot Christian this is much appreciated! :)

> ghisler
> ...by calling the already existing function used when copying

That's exactly what I posted here before (refer to my second post in this thread); that implementing the user-definable storing will be extremely easy to implement since the code is already there but it just needs a way of calling it (e.g. an internal command and/or a shortcut).
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!