[REQ] Tool to determine best copy method settings

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MonkY

Post by *MonkY »

I would definatelly love a feature like this... Hopefully Total Commander will have this tool... It's a pain for me to setup at work (over 50 computers, different configurations) which setting is the best (and i noticed HUGE difference in copy speed with different settings)...

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMP

Post by *Sticky »

I've been waiting for TC 7 to be released before bumping this thread again, in fear that it would just get lost in the pre-TC7 shuffle.
However, now that we are all loving our new version, it seems like a good time to replead for this much-needed utility. :-D

Also, here's a suggestion I had awhile back:
In [url=http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=97449#97449]this thread[/url], a long time ago, sticky wrote:Once you test an external drive, you [should be able to] save its settings and give it a name i.e. "Frank's Lacie D3 200 GB..." Then the next time a 200GB drive is mounted you can tell TC "yeah, it's the same drive" or "No, that's another 200GB by a different manufacturer..." (which will likely have different optimal settings) etc.

Bu bump bump bump.

Post by *Sticky »

Hello all,
Sorry for the bad forum etiquette, but I like to bump this thread every 5-6 months on the off chance that this time it will capture Christian's interest. :-D
Have a lovely day.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

The TC copy method is anachronistic and dangerous junk, it has proven to cause data loss too many times meanwhile for *whatever* reason, usually incompatible drives, network, etc... It was a good idea back in good ol' Windows 95 times, sure, but not now anymore.

Just activate compatibility mode and enter *, then CopyFileEx copy method will be used, which should be the STANDARD way to copy files.

Icfu
This account is for sale

Post by *Sticky »

Isn't that really just another argument for such a tool?

I, like others in this thread, have noticed significant speed difference between the compatability method and other settings. As such, a tool like this one would find the fastest AND safest method of operation for a particular drive on a particular machine.

This would eliminate once and for all the data loss you refer to, as it would be advised to run this tool before changing the potentially dangerous settings to find out if your drives, controllers, whatever are compatible.
Last edited by Sticky on 2007-11-07, 21:25 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Valman

Post by *Valman »

is this true??:O

-referring to what icfu wrote-
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2icfu
You can't blame me if the standard Windows function WriteFile is causing troubles to some exotic hardware with badly written drivers! WriteFile is a standard function used by thousands of programs to save data, and if it causes troubles, then something is very wrong with that hardware or driver...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I don't blame you for WriteFile but I blame you for not using CopyFileEx by default, which is the best compromise between speed and reliability, a perfect way to save users' nerves and time and 50% of the space in the Copy/Delete config dialog...
Those experts who know how the buffer game is played correctly, can still do so by switching the magic values in the INI file.

The TC functions that need WriteFile – Append, maybe more? – you could implement transparently when needed.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I don't blame you for WriteFile but I blame you for not using CopyFileEx by default, which is the best compromise between speed and reliability, a perfect way to save users' nerves and time and 50% of the space in the Copy/Delete config dialog...
Those experts who know how the buffer game is played correctly, can still do so by switching the magic values in the INI file.

The TC functions that need WriteFile – Append, maybe more? – you could implement transparently when needed.
There is one thing that should be mentioned. In early versions of Windows XP there have been problems with the memory occupation with CopyFileEx. There have also been problems with copying files in early versions of Vista but I don't know if they were directly related to CopyFileEx. Well I guess there are always teething problems.
Nevertheless I fully agree with simplifying the whole copy thing and use CopyFileEx by default. All in all using CopyFileEx means the smallest amount of trouble.
Minchen

Post by *Minchen »

What do I have to switch on in the TC copy dialog to use CopyFileEx?
------------------------
Best regards,
Minchen
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Minchen wrote:What do I have to switch on in the TC copy dialog to use CopyFileEx?
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=137649#137649

Configuration->Options->Copy/Delete : [x] Use compatibility mode for the following drives: *

Kind regards,
Holger
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
Now that it's the time between two releases, perhaps you might find a bit a spare time to give this tool a chance?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Biges

Post by *Biges »

What the hell?!
Using "compatibility mode" DOUBLED my HDD to HDD copy speed!
And I thought that "compatibility mode" would be something like "oh, this is inly for dire curcumstances, slow and painful...", but it is not!

THANKS icfu and HolgerK for recommending it!
purple

Post by *purple »

Bu bump bump bump.

Hello all,
Sorry for the bad forum etiquette, but I like to bump this thread every 5-6 months on the off chance that this time it will capture Christian's interest. Very Happy
Have a lovely day.
have a once more lovely day too :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC 7.5 will dafault to compatibility mode on all NT-based systems.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com