Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

That is my another personality. :)
Habemus majkam!
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

A relatively new report of the *.ace vulnerability in TC6.54a. It's in German and doesn't seem to actually show the exploit:
http://www.buerger-cert.de/techwarnung_archiv.aspx?param=5B1TEANI4CBZvTDUPVnkCIMNmG%2FtMyaVFBNbzaD770HXhmAgMAk1nQ%3D%3D
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

I can assure you that my avatar looks exactly the same as me :lol:
Oh NO..............I was praying you wouldn't confirm that! :cry: :cry: :cry: Bring back the cow, the monkey, the bee. anything... :lol:
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

A relatively new report of the *.ace vulnerability in TC6.54a.
This is incorrect - the report is about the vulnerability in the unacev2.dll used by TC BEFORE 6.54. The text says:

"Versionen vor 6.54"

which means "Versions before 6.54".
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
Total Commander 6.54 uses version 2.6.0.0. On the WinACE homepage you can find a news message:
March 8th, 2006
WinAce 2.61 is now available for download.
The new version fixes a possible exploit concerning a buffer overflow in maliciously manipulated ARJ-Archives.
Total Commander 6.54 has been released on February 16.

I don't know if there is a fixed version of the free unpack library (file date 26.08.2005).
MacQ

Post by *MacQ »

I've downloaded Servant Salamander and SpeedCommander.
I'm trying them out now and I find that they are very much similar to TC.
They lack some functions, but have other useful stuff (codepage changing, wipe files, ...).
Especially Servant Salamander is almost a copy of TC with many plugins (which are very nicely sorted in a menu) and with function key buttons on the bottom which change state when you press alt, shift of ctrl.
And also they both look better. Especially Servant Salamander with it's flat and well adjusted interface and icons.

Christian should check them out and get some ideas.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2MacQ

Well, among other enhancements, also the Interface of the next TC-version will be overhauled. Maybe the ongoing argument about TC's GUI will get obsolete then, at least I hope so :)
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

wipe files,
you can do it with two or more plugins in TC.
function key buttons on the bottom which change state when you press alt, shift of ctrl.
And this is a reason for you to seriously try them out and use instead TC? Personally, I've disabled that keybar - it's not needed at all if you know basic hotkeys.
Christian should check them out and get some ideas.
:?
MacQ

Post by *MacQ »

Don't get me wrong. I'm still using TC and been using it for a long time. I've also disabled the function key bar.
I'm just trying to say, that TC should get more user friendly. It has alot of hidden features and command of which alot of people don't even know. Not everyone reads help files you know.

And what's wrong with checking some other stuff out? It's good to stay up to date. This is how I found alot of useful programs. TC was among them also.

Oh. And please post the wipe plugin url.
Lesmo16

Post by *Lesmo16 »

MacQ wrote:Oh. And please post the wipe plugin url.
http://www.totalcmd.net/search.php?s=wipe
Everyone believing in telekinesis, raise my hand!
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

MacQ makes some valid points, I think. It's sensible to check out and examine the opposition's features since no one file manager has all the answers. Wikipedia has a useful comparison of file manager features here.

I tried out Salamander some years ago and was struck by the clarity of its file list display which made file names really attractive and easy to read. I spent ages trying to make TC look the same without quite succeeding. I recall reading later in the forum that it was the pixel spacing between the lines that gave it that 'look'. Other than that, I found TC superior overall.

If you're one of those who's yearning for colourful panel and menu backgrounds (like this), then you owe it to yourself to try out that grandaddy of file managers, Directory Opus, and see whether all that eye-candy really is as wonderful as you imagine it to be, or ultimately annoying.

Dopus is unquestionably a very well thought-through and designed piece of software and seemingly infinitely configurable. You want multiple views?
Single-, dual-, triple-, even quadruple-panes, tabs, and thumbnail views are but a click away. Virtual containers? Not a problem.

TC could usefully learn a thing or two here and emulate Dopus's better features. Like its seamless handling of virtual panels and my favourite: auto-switching of columns depending on directory content. Always a pleasure to open a music directory and see the columns instantly switch to Title, Artist, Format, Bit Rate, and so forth. Of course our custom columns can do that too, but manually, so it's not quite as deliciously satisfying!

Since there's no such thing as a truly free lunch, there is a price to pay both in cost (52 Euros for a single machine licence!) and footprint (8 MB download).

Having said all that, do you know what, I always found it a huge relief to turn off Dopus and return to good old TC's clean, clear and unambiguous interface. I realised that I hardly ever needed more than a 2-panel view, preferred plain backgrounds on my menus, and that I could live quite happily without virtual panels and all the other bells and whistles. Your mileage may differ, naturally.

I think perhaps there is a virtue in simplicity.
gbo

Post by *gbo »

Lesmo16 wrote:
I use eraser to do that. Here you can find Hacker's explainations how to configure it to delete several files in one click.
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

Squire wrote:MacQ makes some valid points, I think
Yes, he do !
Some of the things U mention are really easy to implement and I can explain it's absence only by authors careless atittude for wishes that are sugested more then once, by bunch of people.
Habemus majkam!
Lesmo16

Post by *Lesmo16 »

gbo wrote:
Lesmo16 wrote:
I use eraser to do that. Here you can find Hacker's explainations how to configure it to delete several files in one click.
Me too (like you can see in the mentioned thread), but MacQ asked for a plugin.
Everyone believing in telekinesis, raise my hand!
szlori

Post by *szlori »

Where can I get lst2multiinstance?
Clubtotal seems to be down...