New NTFS Commands from Windows Vista

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Egh

Post by *Egh »

Well first we need to have a common understanding about terminology that MS uses for NTFS. It is not exactly 100% identical to POSIX standard.

Hard links iirc are very safe and can be implemented rather easily. The thing is that MS calls hard links (that is links on the same volume) as hard links for files and the similar thing for directories is called "junctions". All of them are apparently called "reparse points" btw.

Directory junctions are indeed evil as described (however you can install NTFS link Shell Extension which hooks on explorer and is able to delete them properly). Only starting from Vista explorer is able to delete such junctions properly.

Hard links however are not a problem, just several filerecords pointing to a same data on same volume, so are inherently safe.

So my suggestion is:
1. Include hard links support by default.
2. Include junction support however only for advanced users, most likely in the same menu where hidden and system files are enabled.
3. Symlinks may wait as proper support for them is only from 2008/Vista anyway and lots of sane people are still on XP (or XPx64 like myself). Things may change due to w7 arrival but that is becomes an issue only in 2010.

What I would like to see as functionality regarding hard links: (and which is different from current NTFSLink plugin way, which is of course very inconvinient)

1. Links stats intergrated into attributes list (so no need to create a custom column like with NTFSInfo plugin). I think easiest way to achieve that is to use capital letters like J, H, S, V (junction, hard link, symlink, volume junction).
2. Show a number of hardlinks for a file there as well. Most of the times it would be "1" and pretty safe by default to assign only one digit in the file list display for that.
Therefore we can get required information about NTFS links just by adding two characters in the file list (besides most of the times attributes list is not much of the point and contains only endless -a-- strings ;))
3. Of course to add such attributes to the list of searchable attributes in the "Search" command.
4. I don't have any ideas how to implement additional information from NTFSInfo like target for the junction or symlink, maybe the easiest way is to add it to the tooltip on file (you can do it with NTFSInfo plugin).
zeeko

Post by *zeeko »

Regarding of Link Shell Extension - creating hardlinks with "Create Hardlink Clone Here" from popup menu isn't working anymore (since version 2.9.0.3). Other operations with hardlinks are OK.
Mr. Ghisler, is it possible to fix this?

At the end of LSE page is a history and version 2.9.0.3 has a notice that "Pick/Drop does not interfere with the creation of Hardlinks, Junctions or Symbolic Links via Drag and Drop..."
zeeko

Post by *zeeko »

And here is the home page of LSE:
http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html
Any chance to fix "Create HardLink Clone Here" in version 7.5?
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, zeeko.

As you seem to experience problems in using more current versions of LSE, I wonder if Christian Ghisler is the right person to address, because LSE is being developped and maintained by Hermann Schinagl from Austria. Should you not address him about any problems?

Or is LSE working fine when invoked from the Windows Explorer context menu, but failing only when invoked from the Total Commander context menu?

Also, have you made sure that you are using the appropriate LSE version for your Windows platform (WinNT, Win2K 32bit and above, WinXP 64bit and above, Windows on Itanium) plus the appropriate Visual Studio Runtime library files. - The current LSE is v3.1.2 by the way.

Kind regards,
Karl
zeeko

Post by *zeeko »

LSE is working fine from Windows Explorer. In Windows Explorer context menu, after "Pick Link Source" command, there is "Drop Hardlink" command which creates new hardlink.
In TotalCommander context menu, after "Pick Link Source" command, there is "Create Hardlink Clone Here" and it doesn't create a new hardlink.
Creation of hardlinks works in TC too but only with folder context menu ("Drop Hardlink").
I guess that LSE uses non-standard format for hardlinks. I this is true, is it possible to add some compatibility code for LSE in TC, or add an option to choose TC's "Create Hardlink Clone Here" or LSE "Drop Hardlink" context menu command?
My LSE version is 3.1.20, for w2k-w7 x86 and vc2005sp1 x86 runtime is installed.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, zeeko.

Thanks for clearing up these details. Maybe this will help Christian. Cannot give any statement, though, on whether there will be anything Christian can do. - We will see.

Kind regards,
Karl
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Support of hardlinks may be added fully with "NTFS Links" tool and NL_Info plugin.