Total Commander for MAC

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

SteveH

Re: Total Commander for MAC

Post by *SteveH »

It looks like there's a relatively new two-pane file manager for OS X now available. It's called DCommander and is available through the App store.

I've not tried it yet but intend to do so very soon. I can't really comment on how useful it is at this stage but thought it worth highlighting it's available and being developed.

Note:

I'm not able to insert hyperlinks in posts (yet) otherwise I would have linked to the developers (devstorm-apps) and the App Store page.
Moon

Re: Total Commander for MAC

Post by *Moon »

x0054 wrote:However, I miss Total Commander. As a result, I have tried the following:
  • Disk Order
    Pathfinder
    ForkLift
    Double Commander
    muCommander
    Konqueror
    xFolders
I was working on a MacBook Air the other day and I really would have needed TC. Does any of the alternatives you tried offer queueing (F5-F2)?
x0054

Post by *x0054 »

Pathfinder 6+ should offer queueing. Most of the programs I mentioned have trial copies. muCommander is what I use every day now, it works ok. Not great, but functional.

As for DCommander, it has no trial copy, which is very annoying. I can not judge if it's worth the money based on a few screenshots. Also, I am not sure how its even able to be sold through AppStore, considering the new restrictions. I'll have to check it out again, maybe the author has a website with a demo now.

- Bogdan
mooolt

Post by *mooolt »

take a look at the Mover project, it's still in beta, but looks promising.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:b) you CANT just compile a Tool written for one OS to run out of the box on another to much system specific functions are use in TCs Code.
The second part of the statement is right. The first is wrong.
Yes, there's too much Windows-specific code in *the* tool for it to work well in Unices.
But, no, it's not a problem to run *a* tool on many different OSes. This includes file managers.
graemeg

Post by *graemeg »

The notion that Linux users don't want to pay for software is absolutely absurd! Please stop spreading such rubbish!

I'm a Linux user and developer since 1994. I have no problem in purchasing commercial software for Linux (or any other operating system for that matter) - if it does the job better than free / open source alternatives. ie: I bought Nero Linux 3 & 4, SimCity 2000, Borland Kylix 3 Pro and then later Enterprise, Beyond Compare 3 etc.... just to name a few.

ps: I would love Total Commander for Linux and Mac, and would happily pay for it.
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

Double Commander (Freeware)
Double Commander/Plugins
Double Commander/Supported platforms
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The biggest problem is that plugins would have to be recompiled too. If you check how many (or few!) plugins there are for 64-bit, you could easily imagine that it would be much worse with Linux. Therefore I think that using it via Wine is a much better solution.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Turin

Post by *Turin »

Well, I don't want to revive corpses here but this is the way I do it for years:

Firstly, as a Mac user, you are not supposed to do direct file manipulations. Use the OS the way it is intended.
Now, if you need to get technical and fiddle with direct file operations, you should do it seriously, open a terminal and run MC ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Commander )
To me it's is still the closest thing to Norton Commander or original Windows Commander and it also works in Linux and even Windows.
cybermedi

collect money first

Post by *cybermedi »

I have found that there was a number of such discussion here and anywhere else. Everybody here would like to have TC for Mac. So AM I. I think nobody would like it for free. And there is huge discussion if there is enough Mac users to pay Christian time. My idea is lets go to some kind of kickstarted project. Lets collect money first then the project begins. That show if TC for Mac has any chance for living. Setup your need to make good working Mac version and we will pay you first if there would not be enough money stop it.
Is it bad idea?
cybermedi

DCommander

Post by *cybermedi »

I just bought DCommander form AppStore (14EUR) It looks really nice but the function are limited now. I believe it could be real TC alternative in future. All other like muCommander or Double Commander is still more open source then usable and nice. I hope that commercial aspect of the Dcommander will drive it fast forward.
hlloyge

Post by *hlloyge »

Well, I guess if you all buy Mr. Ghisler one Mac and developing tools, he would maybe dive into it. It is not just clicking "compile for Mac" and voila :) and I think that TC for Mac would be hit among Mac users who need it, anyways.
FastCommander

Post by *FastCommander »

Lefteous wrote:Another problem is the current business perspective on Macs. While the Mac App Store is a great way to distribute apps it's very limited for apps like TC. The problems here are sandboxing, using custom ccontrols and stuff like that. The experience wouldn't be the same for an App Store app.
But software for Mac can be also distributed outside AppStore. Unfortunately developer must pay the same price for certificate to make installation process easier.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2FastCommander
Yes of course it can be distributed outside the App Store. Me point was that the App Store is a great way for developerd to promote their software - but not for these kind of apps.
FastCommander

TOTAL COMMANDER FOR MAC

Post by *FastCommander »

Hi,

New FastCommander 1.2 just out.

Changes in short:
- some fixes
- bookmarks manager
- panel list sorting
- dock icon with indeterminate progress

Download from homepage:
http://fastcommander.com