F4Menu for all v0.58

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Shanny

Post by *Shanny »

v0.55 available now, it will be the last version in this year if there's no serious bug.

http://www.shanny.com.cn/f4menu/

[2010-10-10 0.55]
+ F4Menu.ini [Option] ShellMenu=1 indicate whether show context menu for windows explorer
! Cannot handle the filename parameter which contains space but not enclosed by quota (thanks to Balderstrom@tc)
TCEE, TCPP, F4Menu -- Shanny
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Shanny, please describe what exactly ShellMenu parameter does and how to use it. :)
Shanny

Post by *Shanny »

MVV wrote:Shanny, please describe what exactly ShellMenu parameter does and how to use it. :)
if ShellMenu=1 then
F4menu try to add context menu for windows explorer, the effect is equal to run F4Menu -a
else
do nothing
(run F4Menu -r manually can remove the context menu and set ShellMenu to 0)
end if
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

If program failed changing registry, it doesn't show any message at all but changes ShellMenu parameter (e.g. if my profile has no admin rights or I have UAC). I think it should warn user and/or restart itself in elevated mode (using ShellExecute[Ex] function with "runas" verb - Windows will ask user for confirmation) on fail.

Does F4Menu try to add context menus every time it is started? It seems that ShellMenu option is not necessary - if I start program with ShellMenu=1 and w/o context menu item it doesn't add it (even when started with admin rights), same for ShellMenu=0 when context menu item exists. :)
Shanny

Post by *Shanny »

Does F4Menu try to add context menus every time it is started?
Almost yes when ShellMenu=1, it try to do that before exit, so don't worry about the performance :)
I think it should warn user and/or restart itself in elevated mode (using ShellExecute[Ex] function with "runas" verb - Windows will ask user for confirmation) on fail.
Since F4Menu try to do that every time, I don't wanna annoy user, keep it silent is better.
In future version, I'll add a new checkbox in option window for this value, at that time, the warning is necessary.
It seems that ShellMenu option is not necessary - if I start program with ShellMenu=1 and w/o context menu item it doesn't add it (even when started with admin rights), same for ShellMenu=0 when context menu item exists. :)
Most users run app with admin rights, so it's useful for them :)
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Great idea to run registry check on exit. 8)

Since Vista/7 most users run apps w/o admin rights even if they don't know about it - UAC does it for them. :D So most Windows 7 users will start F4Menu w/o elevation. And, it is good practice for safety do not start all apps with admin rights even in Windows XP.
Shanny

Post by *Shanny »

MVV wrote:Since Vista/7 most users run apps w/o admin rights even if they don't know about it - UAC does it for them. :D So most Windows 7 users will start F4Menu w/o elevation. And, it is good practice for safety do not start all apps with admin rights even in Windows XP.
Sure, you're right.
However I think most users are still use WinXP and with admin rights :)

Anyway, that's still a rough function, I'll think the detail over in future.
Great thanks for your opinion! :D
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Shanny, I think that by default Win+F4 should be assigned for foreground mode instead of background - to open associated files w/o menu by F4. Current behaviour may confuse some users because F4Menu always shows menu even for associated files (if user doesn't configure it).

And please add an option to display menu in background mode if more than one editor is registered with file type - some users like this feature in similar tools. Or maybe even another mixed mode with separate key combination (like default editor mode).

Also many users are still waiting for removing extra menu items from main menu and separator before 'More programs'. :) I think last three items may be safely moved to 'More programs' submenu or hidden at all - 'Other program', 'Settings' and 'About'. So we will get in main menu just list of editors - and it will be great. :)

I hope you'll find some time this year. :)
Shanny

Post by *Shanny »

Shanny, I think that by default Win+F4 should be assigned for foreground mode instead of background - to open associated files w/o menu by F4. Current behaviour may confuse some users because F4Menu always shows menu even for associated files (if user doesn't configure it).
Well, for the experienced users, F4 for background mode is OK
But for the novice, I think it's improper, because thus they even don't know how to show the option window, and have no chance to learn pressing "Win+F4" for foreground mode.
And please add an option to display menu in background mode if more than one editor is registered with file type - some users like this feature in similar tools. Or maybe even another mixed mode with separate key combination (like default editor mode).
OK, thanks for your suggestion again!
I'll add the option. :)
Also many users are still waiting for removing extra menu items from main menu and separator before 'More programs'. I think last three items may be safely moved to 'More programs' submenu or hidden at all - 'Other program', 'Settings' and 'About'. So we will get in main menu just list of editors - and it will be great.
Sorry for that, I'll try to do it in next version: add separator before 'More programs' and remove 'About',
As for 'Other program' & 'Settings', I have no decision yet, maybe keep current status, or move the former to submenu.
I hope you'll find some time this year.
I hope so, anyway, if you have any new idea, please post it here, thanks!
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I think 'Settings' may be optionally moved to context menu of editors ('Settings' and 'Modify' are similar, may be placed near) - as for me, 'Settings' is not needed frequently so can be opened via context menu.

Item 'Other program' may be optionally moved to 'More programs' - it is logical (e.g. after separator) - some INI switch may be added for this (e.g. I prefer to move this item from main menu while some another user not).

Also INI option to hide first item would be useful for some users (with choices: 0 - show always, as now, default value, 1 - show only when multiple files opened, 2 - never show).

Theese settings are at-once so I don't think they require additional switches in GUI (some users will set them once in INI and forget).

So it will be possible to have only list of editors in main menu. :)
Last edited by MVV on 2010-10-14, 08:43 UTC, edited 4 times in total.
tosbsas

Post by *tosbsas »

how can I get rid of the shellmenu thingy?

Windows 7
A New Generation transformed by the Power of God
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

tosbsas, do one of theese actions:
* open TC in elevated mode and start F4Menu.exe with parameter -a;
* open CMD in eleavated mode and start F4Menu.exe with parameter -a;
* create LNK for F4Menu.exe, append parameter -a to its command and start it in elevated mode.
Message box will be shown on success. Then every file's context menu will have item to open it with F4Menu.
tosbsas

Post by *tosbsas »

thanks (:-))
A New Generation transformed by the Power of God
fm-xvid

Post by *fm-xvid »

thanks for this nice tool.. i have a question which might have been answered but i couldn't find it in this thread.

i'm a ChiceEditor user and i would like to know if it is possible to replicate a certain behaviour of ChoiceEditor in F4Menu.

consider this scenario..

1. Menu doesn't Appears (auto-open)
a) Opening an established file like PNG (let's say with IrfanView), then it is opened immediately in IrfanView

2. Menu Appears
a) Opening an established file like XML and there are several options (XML Notepad, PSPad, Notepad2, etc), then a menu with those apps are shown.

b) when an unrecognized extension is selected then the menu appears with all the apps.

on my part, i can't get 2(b) to work. for an unrecognized extension, F4Menu auto-opens with the default application and it returns an error (naturally as it's not the designated app).

so can someone help me to clarify if there is a way to do this?

thank you
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

That doesn't sound right. The default (AFAIK) should be to display the F4 context menu for any extensions you haven't assigned.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.