SynWrite (Syn2)

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Matthias030

Post by *Matthias030 »

Request: Syn2.exe startup without filename as parameter. parameter should be optional.

I use Syn2 as lister plugin (F3) and also as external editor (button on buttonbar). Often I need an editor with a blank page to make some notes. (like a notepad replacement).
Alextp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Alextp »

Matthias
It may be easy- will upload tomorrow
Alextp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Alextp »

upd. Also some fixes.
Matthias030

Post by *Matthias030 »

Thank you for the fast update. Works good for me now.

There is another thing that is sometimes a little bit confusing for me. Thats for sure a bit complicated.
You can set read-only mode to on or off. You can do this in configuration dialog or by clicking on the lock-icon in status bar. The last state after closing is remembered for next startup. Further it seems that the last state for some documents is also written in SynState.ini

I would like it this way: I use plugin mode (F3) only for viewing (read only on) and exe mode (F4) for edit (read only off). But in plugin mode I would like to temporary set read only off. Read only in plugin mode is important since I can switch with Key "4" through registered TC plugins. But in write mode i get every time the message to save my changes.

The big problem here is that only one ini-file is used for both (plugin + exe). So a forced read-only-on for plugin and read-only-off for exe is complicated to realize. Maybe you can create a new global option "Force Read only at Startup" and a command line parameter "WriteMode" for exe? Or even better two new configuration options "force read only plugin" and "force read only exe".

Btw. saving the read only state in SynState.ini is not needed for me at all. That should be disabled.
Alextp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Alextp »

that's compilcated.. maybe better to have 2 ini files, for exe synStateExe.ini?
Not sure i want to make add options
Matthias030

Post by *Matthias030 »

The easiest way is to use 2 Syn2 installations in different directories. One for plugin and one for exe mode. For plugin I need the option to start always in read only mode. If I temporary disable read only for plugin then it shoud be enabled again next time.

That could be done in following way:

Options dialog -> Editor -> Read only: Set read-only for startup to on/off
Lock-Icon in Status Bar: Temporary enable / disable read-only for current session.
Alextp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Alextp »

I may suggest:
read-only at startup: [On / Off / On only for plugin / As saved in previous session ]
-the additional to "Editor- Read-only" (for current session).
Alextp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Alextp »

or [On/ Off/ As for prev. session] but option saved separately for exe/ non-exe (2 diff. ini-keys).
Matthias030

Post by *Matthias030 »

read-only at startup: [On / Off / On only for plugin / As saved in previous session ]
-the additional to "Editor- Read-only" (for current session).
That's sounds good. This solution is better than 2 separate ini-keys.
Alextp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Alextp »

but when set [On for plugin] what is the value for .exe? So 2 ini-keys sounds better..
Matthias030

Post by *Matthias030 »

2 ini-keys sounds better..
feel free to do it that way if it is easier to implement.
Alextp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Alextp »

Upd. How it works?
Matthias030

Post by *Matthias030 »

It works exactly as I wanted. This was really good work! big thx.

I played around with Copy <-> Copy as RTF this morning. It seems that both options in context menu (right mouse button) and CTRL+C always do the same. Is "Options dialog -> Editor -> Copy to clipboard as RTF" = on, then always RTF is copied. Is setting in options = off then always standard text is copied.

Another little annoying thing: If you enable/disable word wrap, the document jumps back to current cursor position. Open any document, scroll down some pages and then press Ctrl+W, the document jumps back to beginning. To avoid jumping back, you can do a mouseclick to set the cursor to the current shown position. But in read-only-mode and option "show caret in read-only"=off the document always jumps back to the beginning.
Alextp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Alextp »

I think issue wth CtrlW fixed. UPd
Matthias030

Post by *Matthias030 »

Ctrl+W issue is fixed for read-only-mode without caret shown.
In edit-mode and read-only-mode with caret shown, the document still jumps back to caret position.