[Suggestion] Background transfer for packing/unpacking

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

granx

[Suggestion] Background transfer for packing/unpacking

Post by *granx »

How about supporting background operation not only for copying/moving etc. but also for unpack/pack operations?

granx
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

granx
ZIP-pack/unpack operations can now be performed in background. Other packers and plugins cannot be moved to background because of their non-thread-safety (if you e.g. are unpacking some RAR-archive in background and are trying to access some other RAR-archive in main TC window, these tow UnRAR threads interfere and produce incorrect results.

As a workaround you can set InternalUnrar=0, InternalUnace=0 etc in your wincmd.ini file - then all pack/unpack operations will be executed by external tools, so TC will be able to move the waiting thread into background. But for plugins it's impossible.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
granx

Post by *granx »

Thanks for your quick reply, but what I was thinking is that I will be able to create a queue of pack/unpack/copy/move operations and still be able to continue working with TC (like creating a batch).

Its not that I need mutiple instances of unpack (this can be done with external unpack), what I think would be nice is to create a queue so that only one instance of unpacker (internal or external) is in memory.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Ah, I see now. I thought you meant the "Background" button on the Copying/Moving progress dialog.

AFAIK, it's not possible by TC. Maybe, some script...

PS: In WinRAR 3.5x there is an option for packing that makes it wait till all other WinRAR instances finish packing operation. You can turn this option on in default WinRAR profile, and this will allow you to create batch RAR-packing jobs. But I don't know if this is possible for unpacking and for packers other than WinRAR.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64