[BUG] My symbol icons are fuzzy and unclean in the file list

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

atery

[BUG] My symbol icons are fuzzy and unclean in the file list

Post by *atery »

I know there is a FAQ about the same unclean icons in the button bar, but my problem is in the file list. Meanwhile the icons are all good-looking in the windows Explorer. I got a screen shot here. Anyone have any idea how to solve this? Thanks!

Image: http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e185/atery/Snap1.jpg (See the right-bottom, those doc files are fuzzy, but the folder icons in the top are good, weird...)
Clo

Work arounds...

Post by *Clo »

2atery

:) Hello ! Welcome aboard !

- TC doesn't extract the icons in the same way than Explorer. It'll use always the 32x32 one and resize it.

- Workaraounds :
1. Try to change the icon Files Menu >> Associate with… Edit type >> Change icon.
- Whether there is a native 16x16 icon in the programme, you'll see it as blown up to 32x32, so very easy to identify… Use it. :wink:

2. Attempt to enlarge the icon-size in the file-lists :
- Options >> Fonts >> Symbol size. You ough type a new value, i.e. 21x21 "as is". Icons less resized could look a bit better…

• Further : Use icons originally drawn with the custom-size for the file-lists, that I do for a long while;
I've a set for the most usual file-types, reachable from my Web-page (see below) >> Total Commander —> My Goodies

:mrgreen: KInd regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
atery

Post by *atery »

Thanks Clo, that's a instant and surprise reply.

Yes, I just started use TC yesterday, by recomendation from my friends. (Still on trial edition :)). I have tried 32x32 size of symbol, and that give good look, now I know the reason.

I'll use your long-while-way to solve this, thanks for your help. :D
Clo

Good way---

Post by *Clo »

2atery

:) Hello !
…that's a instant and surprise reply…
• Generally, this forum is very reactive!
Yes, I just started use TC yesterday, by recomendation from my friends.
• You have good wise friends, you can trust them 8)
I'll use your long-while-way to solve this, thanks for your help. :D
• You're welcome.

:mrgreen:  Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
atery

Post by *atery »

Hey, Clo, just one thing:

I've just got on your web page. Well, a lot of stuff... amzing, and most of them are French, I believe...

Can you give me some hint where are the icon files your mentioned to replace the symbols? Thanks.

By the way, good web page to communicate~
atery

Post by *atery »

well, finally find it here: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/charries/wincmd-e.htm

Thanks Clo~
Clo

Directly---

Post by *Clo »

2atery

:) It's already explained above. You have a TC page in English from the French one, just click the UK-flag or the text-link beside it…
- BTW : many pages are bilingual…

- Or else, try to download the pack directly HERE
- Look at the "Speciales-Special" folder for the file-list icons, all types have not one, but it's good to make tests… The most are 21x21. I add some when I have new ones ;)

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
atery

Post by *atery »

Thanks Clo. I just tried some, and I found that it seems my TC can't give me perfect symbol looks. I just opened the official screenshot from the official site, and I don't think it changed any associated icons. But the "dll" and "txt" files are MUCH BETTER looking than mine.

See the comparision: Image: http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e185/atery/Snap2.jpg

I only want to have normal looks of my "txt" and "dll" files. Can you give me any suggestions? Thanks :oops:
Clo

Set larger--

Post by *Clo »

2atery

- I made three 21x21 icons for *.txt and *.dll in the lists, you can get them in a small ZIP HERE. They have transparent backgrounds.
- Normally, *.dll is not associated to any programme. It's possible to set an association with, let's say, a resource editor or hexa editor (so, no mess if you would click on by mistake), then set this icon.
- For TXT, just change the icon for the associated programme, like explained above.
- We hope for an improvement of the icon-thingy in the next TC 7.0 version… :roll:

Note : Please, avoid JPG for screen shots, it adds fake colours and makes the images more blurred. PNG is quite convenient.

Claude
Clo
atery

Re: Set larger--

Post by *atery »

Clo wrote:2atery

- I made three 21x21 icons for *.txt and *.dll in the lists, you can get them in a small ZIP HERE. They have transparent backgrounds.
- Normally, *.dll is not associated to any programme. It's possible to set an association with, let's say, a resource editor or hexa editor (so, no mess if you would click on by mistake), then set this icon.
- For TXT, just change the icon for the associated programme, like explained above.
- We hope for an improvement of the icon-thingy in the next TC 7.0 version… :roll:

Note : Please, avoid JPG for screen shots, it adds fake colours and makes the images more blurred. PNG is quite convenient.

Claude
Clo
:wink: :lol: Thanks for your kindly help, I really appreciate it. At the same time, look forwards the 7.0 edition :o
Baptist

Post by *Baptist »

Hello Clo, Atery,
Clo wrote:- TC doesn't extract the icons in the same way than Explorer. It'll use always the 32x32 one and resize it.
Total Commander of all versions uses correct (small or large) versions of icons when you choose 16x16 or 32x32 setting. Icons in both modes are displayed correcly on my Windows XP (and Windows 95, 98 earlier). I do not know why your systems always use 32x32 versions of icons and resize them with distortion when 16x16 setting is set.
atery wrote:I just opened the official screenshot from the official site, and I don't think it changed any associated icons...

I only want to have normal looks of my "txt" and "dll" files.
Yes, nothing is needed to see correct icons. Only install TC. Unfortunately, I do not know how to solve your problem and can advise only to find proper hidden setting of your Windows or reinstall Windows.

Baptist
atery

Post by *atery »

Baptist wrote:Hello Clo, Atery,
Clo wrote:- TC doesn't extract the icons in the same way than Explorer. It'll use always the 32x32 one and resize it.
Total Commander of all versions uses correct (small or large) versions of icons when you choose 16x16 or 32x32 setting. Icons in both modes are displayed correcly on my Windows XP (and Windows 95, 98 earlier). I do not know why your systems always use 32x32 versions of icons and resize them with distortion when 16x16 setting is set.
atery wrote:I just opened the official screenshot from the official site, and I don't think it changed any associated icons...

I only want to have normal looks of my "txt" and "dll" files.
Yes, nothing is needed to see correct icons. Only install TC. Unfortunately, I do not know how to solve your problem and can advise only to find proper hidden setting of your Windows or reinstall Windows.

Baptist
Thanks Baptist. Well, that's.... weird... I check out what looks like in my girlfriend's computer.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2atery

just an idea: did you try to start TC with a blank ini file?

Code: Select all

TOTALCMD.EXE /i=test.ini
if icons are dispalyed correctly then, there might be a wrong setting in your wincmd.ini in the section of your used screen resolution, for example

Code: Select all

[1280x1024 (8x16)]
Iconsize32=(value)
(value) should be 16 or 32.

I've set the above value to 15 for testing and got quirky windows-icons, a bit like the ones in your screenshot. With this value, TC seems to scale down the windows-16x16 icons while TCs own icons are cropped by one pixel and not scaled down.

As you stated, you didn't change your configuration so it's not very probable that I'm right with my assumption, but at least its easier to check that out first than to re-install windows. You never know... :wink:
Clo

Customized

Post by *Clo »

2Baptist

- Please, read again… I said for customized size of icons in the lists. When using Associate… Change icon, TC always displays the icon you choose as 32x32 in the preview, even if they are not.
- For me, 16x16 is too small, and 32x32 for the lists is too large according to the screen-resolution. Hence, I set 21x21 and use icons drawn for this size, because the resizing by TC is not satisfactory.

:mrgreen:  KR
Claude
Clo
atery

Post by *atery »

StickyNomad:
Thanks for your advice, I'll try later at home. I am now in my school office, and just tried TC in my computer here -- the icons looking are all good here, just the same as my exploere gives me.

As the configuration, I think I didn't change anything... but I think your theory is right, I'll check out it. :P

Clo:
Maybe I didn't make myself clear :D , 16x16 is OK for me, I just can't tolerate the fuzzy icons. But your post is very helpful, and thanks for your icons :wink: