layout selection

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

rwardzin

layout selection

Post by *rwardzin »

Hi,
Does anybody know whether total commander allow to store different layouts and easily switch between them? E.g. I work on two different project each of whom has 10 folder tabs open. I would like to easily switch between those two projects.
Free Commander has this option nicely implemented. When I store a layout I can access it afterwards with shortcut.
Maybe I could switch between different ini files? Or maybe there is some plugin I haven't notice?

Rafa
gbo

Post by *gbo »

Hi,

You could take a look at this thread http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=63497&highlight=#63497
and see how those commands APPENDTABS or OPENTABS can be used.

HTH
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

You can always use several TC instances :).
F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab... - I like to move IT, move IT!..
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

XPEHOPE3KA wrote:You can always use several TC instances :).
Yes, and if you use different ini files you could easily

use different colours
use different tabs
use different buttonbar
use different directory hotlists (favourites)

with each of those instances. Simply start TC with /i=.\special.ini and configur it for your purposes. But it's already described in the thread gbo pointed to.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
rwardzin

Post by *rwardzin »

thanks guys. The solutions with different ini files seams enough for me. Easy to configure and powerfull.

Rafa
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

so If I got it correctly you guys propose to have 10 shortcuts to Total Commander with different ini parameters. Before that I have to create those 10 ini files, save them to another location AND finally edit shortcut.

And of course... if I 1 want only 1 instance of TC, which I want, then I have to shut it down, of course, active folder will not be remembered, then open another, then ......

Very nice procedure, very nice....

You people continue to amaze me.
Habemus majkam!
rwardzin

Post by *rwardzin »

As I have already have written in first post: what would like me most is what Free Commander has: difenable under shortcut different layouts. Maybe I should have started this topic under some wishlist but I didn't know it just doesn't exist already...
gbo

Post by *gbo »

majkinetor ! wrote:so If I got it correctly you guys propose to have 10 shortcuts to Total Commander with different ini parameters. Before that I have to create those 10 ini files, save them to another location AND finally edit shortcut.

And of course... if I 1 want only 1 instance of TC, which I want, then I have to shut it down, of course, active folder will not be remembered, then open another, then ......

Very nice procedure, very nice....

You people continue to amaze me.
This is TC's Law of Evolution, we have to adapt our environment not the opposite :wink:
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.
Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

gbo wrote: This is TC's Law of Evolution, we have to adapt our environment not the opposite :wink:
So let's hope that the evolution does not eliminate TC as an "unfit" creature... :D
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

majkinetor ! wrote:You people continue to amaze me.
And you, majkinetor !, continue to amaze everyone else :):)
majkinetor ! wrote:you guys propose to have 10 shortcuts to Total Commander with different ini parameters. Before that I have to create those 10 ini files, save them to another location AND finally edit shortcut.
If we speak about Free Commander's(or any other's)layouts, there's no difference: you still have to create those 10 layouts, save them to any location (if this location, of course, is not fixed in FC), and add them howe ver to FC buttonbar or something.
if I 1 want only 1 instance of TC, which I want, then I have to shut it down, of course, active folder will not be remembered, then open another, then ......
use your favourite tool DM2 to make a floating icon of TC and, when finished with the project, restore it and exit.
F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab... - I like to move IT, move IT!..
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

I totally agree with majkinetor! about this. TC tabs are very nice as far as they go. One might spend a little time with SpeedCommander to see what more is needed in the way of layout management in TC.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric