[Req] acces the context menu by clicking on the icon itself

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

snaggy

[Req] acces the context menu by clicking on the icon itself

Post by *snaggy »

I select files by right click, as in NC (I used to use WinNC), but I have the disadvantage that if I want to acces to the ExplorerLike context menu I have to use the keyboard button.

I'd like to have the possibility (it's the same in WinNC) to enter this menu by clicking on the icon itself, while selecting the file if clicking on the whole line (text)

I use the contextual menu becouse of the function "open with" and for the MetaCommander extension, useful to move files quickly.

Is there any way to use these functions (most important OPEN WITH) in TC without opening this menu (often it takes a long time to load becouse it's so full of trash...)

bye
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [Req] acces the context menu by clicking on the icon its

Post by *HolgerK »

Welcome snaggy
TC-Help wrote:Local menus

Total Commander offers local menus (context menus) for several interface elements. All these menus can be opened through a right mouse click:

- In the file windows you can reach the local menus also by pressing SHIFT+F10. If the right mouse button is used to select files you can reach the right click menu by holding down the button a bit longer (about 1 second).
HTH
Holger
snaggy

Post by *snaggy »

uh, that's great!

Anyway, is it possible to acces to the open with function without the contextual menu? I'd like it becouse sometimes it takes up to 10 seconds to open it (windows's so slow on my PC)

And is there a TC contextual menu or only the explorer one? It'd be interesting to have a fully customizable contextual menu to quickly access TC commands, or file propertise.

bye
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

Clicking icon to bring context menu is very cool idea, I had similar thoughts already. Keeping RMB more then 1 sec is slow.

I guess that this can goes toward people accedently clicking the icon and then accedently clicking some menu item, which will probably be "delete forever" but a) this can be off by default b) it can be RMB without delay so accidents will not be common.
Habemus majkam!
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

An alternative idea would be to use the middle mouse button to open the context menu.
snaggy

Post by *snaggy »

I see, it's a nice idea the MMB too, and if I'm not much mistaken it's quite a simple thing to add for the programmers, isn't it?

Anyway, I have a question. The "open with" function of the explorer ContexMenu is fully merged with it, right? That's why there's no way to reach it without opening the whole menu?

But isn't it possible to create a smart conexmenu within TC with some customizable function, and something like open with too?

or maybe it exists and I didn't see it (happened before...) ?

bye
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2snaggy
I see, it's a nice idea the MMB too, and if I'm not much mistaken it's quite a simple thing to add for the programmers, isn't it?
Yes I guess it would be quite easy.
Anyway, I have a question. The "open with" function of the explorer ContexMenu is fully merged with it, right? That's why there's no way to reach it without opening the whole menu?

But isn't it possible to create a smart conexmenu within TC with some customizable function, and something like open with too?

or maybe it exists and I didn't see it (happened before...) ?
Try
http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/ChoiceEditor.html
or
http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/OpenFileTC.html

These addons can be used for exactly this task.
snaggy

Post by *snaggy »

I tried the addons but they're usefull if you use a program for each type of file

For example, for .jpg files sometimes I use photoshop, sometimes a viewer, sometimes a metadata editor, depending on what I have to do.

I need something that offer me a different menu for each extension.

is it possible?
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

There are things you could to to simplify access to Open With dialog, like creating a button (or hotkey) witch will, once clicked (pressed), get selected file extension and display adequate dialog. There are plenty of "menu builders" out there for free. Menu items can be retrieved from the same Registry keys Windows uses to populate "Open With" menu

However this is not a trivial task for anybody that is not power Windows user.

The best possible solution is too have customizable menus with several predefined menu sets witch can be merged to one single menu. For instance TC could have this menus:
    Shell Menu
    Open With Menu
    Clipboard Menu
    Send To Menu
    Properties Menu
This is not so trivial to implement but it is far from impossible and I guess there are already done classes that can get Explorers Shell Extensions without massive amount of COM programming.

CLCL is great example how things can be done this way although it doesn't have system menus but it's own set.

2 Leftious
If such feature will be implemented the button should be customizable. Any fixed button will not be adequate for some.
Habemus majkam!
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

For example, for .jpg files sometimes I use photoshop, sometimes a viewer, sometimes a metadata editor, depending on what I have to do.
This is exactly what ChoiceEditor does. You can have a list applications per extension. It takes a little until you get used to it, but it is worth while. Ask here in the forum if you have questions, marked with [OT].
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

SanskritFritz wrote:This is exactly what ChoiceEditor does.
Good Morning ;) :P

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
snaggy

Post by *snaggy »

mmm, OK I'll check it, probably I didn't understand how it works

Anyway, is it possible to export the list of application i'm gonna make ? That's becouse i'm switching to another computer in 2 months, and I'd like to have TC and all the related plugins exactly the same.

By the way, is there a guide or topic that explains how to move being sure not to lose anything?

bye
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2snaggy
and I'd like to have TC and all the related plugins exactly the same.
take a look at our wiki:
http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Backup
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

2 Sans
Tell me something: does ChoiceEditor promp you on every view ? Or I have some shortcut to call it when I want to see "other" applications I want to use on that file.
I remember that CE promped me every time with selection dialog, and that is the last thing on the list for good file handling.
Habemus majkam!
snaggy

Post by *snaggy »

ChoiceEditor (Now I learned how to use it) prompts you everytime with a list of programs you created for that extension, from that dialog you can acces the whole program list if you want, or specify to use always a specific program for that extension.

So if you don't want to see the choice dialog, you just select a default program. The problem is that I can't undo this action but manually modifying the ini file, and that's quite annoying.

hope I made me understood (I'm not that good in english)
bye