I need your help for tabbed browsing!

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

OK, it's not pefrect but here is a sample of how TCmd may look like with both tab solutions:

http://www.geocities.com/wanderer510/images/image1.jpg

or perhaps http://www.geocities.com/wanderer510/images/image2.jpg is better.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC will only have separate tabs per file panel. However, You will be able to open two directories in a new tab each by holding down Shift or Ctrl in the Ctrl+D menu. The problem with one tab for both panels is that the needed directory will always be on the wrong tab...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Jonas

Post by *Jonas »

And what is about cm_NextInstance and cm_PrevInstance? Mapped to the right Hot-Keys it would allow an easy switching betrween multiple instances...
Valentino already told me how to make my own cm_NewInstance...
see: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=8758#8758
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 20-06-2003 04:30:24 +0000 Valentino wrote:

V> ... or Ctrl+Up/Down.

...or "Alt"+"F8". But neither "Alt"+"F8" nor "Ctrl"+UpAr/DnAr stands for putting "the focus into the commandline".[/face]
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 20-06-2003 04:32:26 +0000 Valentino wrote:

V> You can make this command yourself:
[^Y]
V> Parameters: /L="%P" /R="%T"

Actually, "/N /L="%P" /R="%T"", Val, if you talking about new instance... %)[/face]
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 20-06-2003 18:52:07 +0000 ghisler(Author) wrote:

g> The problem with one tab for both panels is that the needed
g> directory will always be on the wrong tab...

Actually I can't see your point, Christian. Just can't get what are you talking about. Can you be more specific? You see, this is how at least two OFM work with "tabs". And I can't remember I had any problems with "wrong" ones.[/face]
UPieper

Post by *UPieper »

del
ado

Post by *ado »

jb wrote:I suggest the following shortcuts for the new commands:
Shift+Enter and MiddleMouseButton for cm_TransferOpposite.
(Enter opens the focused directory in the current tab.)
Shift+Ctrl+T (= Ctrl+Shift+T) and Shift+MiddleMouseButton for cm_NewTabOpposite.
(Ctrl+T opens the current (or focused?) directory in a new tab on the current side.)
this sounds great (that MiddleMouseButton) hopefully it is the same as "WheelButton". I am using NetCaptor browser and "WheelButton" click open link in new tab. Another great functionality is "WheelButton" click on tab itself that closes it

ado
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 20:46 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

g> The problem with one tab for both panels is that the eeded
g> directory will always be on the wrong tab...

Actually I can't see your point, Christian. Just can't get what are you talking about. Can you be more specific? You see, this is how at least two OFM work with "tabs". And I can't remember I had any problems with "wrong" ones.
OK, an example: If the tabs would contain both the left and right directory, the following could happen:

Tab1: Source1 and Target1
Tab2: Source2 and Target2

Now the user needs to copy a file from Source1 to Target2. There is no easy way to do this, except for manually going from Target1 to Target2! With tabs per panel, it's easy: Just press Ctrl+Tab in the target window!

Btw, I'm already using the tab feature quite heavily, and it's really useful. The following is already implemented:

:arrow: The hotkeys mentioned above are all built in
:arrow: Several internal commands for tabs are available
:arrow: Tabs are saved on exit, and restored when TC starts
:arrow: Switching between multiple search results is possible, although they are not saved when TC is closed
:arrow: Cursor position and file selections are also preserved when switching between tabs (the dir contents are re-read)
:arrow: Dragging a few dirs to the empty space in the tab header adds them as tabs
:arrow: dragging files/dirs to a tab copies them to that dir
:arrow: middle click (yes, with the wheel button) on a tab closes it
:arrow: there is a context menu to duplicate a tab, close it, or close all tabs
:arrow: tabs can be always on, or only when there is more than one

Anything else that I should add?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

What about my suggestions?
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=8733#8733
Especially rename, please! Otherwise what i'll se on the tab? C:\???????? or C:\A87F~1 ?

BTW. Starting totalcmd.exe /o c:\a87f~1 doesn't work while cd c:\a87f~1 works!.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

ghisler(Author) wrote:

Btw, I'm already using the tab feature quite heavily, and it's really useful.

Yuppie!
ghisler(Author) wrote:
The following is already implemented:
:arrow: Tabs are saved on exit, and restored when TC starts

Yes, you can! When I start Opera all my tabs from last session reappear. As mentioned above the equivalent feature is already implemented in TC. But Opera also remembers the (Opera: Website, TC: directory) history for each tab. I would like to see this in TC!
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Anything else that I should add?
I use MyIE2, there is a nice option to block some tabs, i.e. when I use "close all tabs" the "blocked" ones are not closed.

VadiMGP's renaming :-) would be also nice.

I think saving groups of tabs under a specified name could be also useful. I mean I have several tabs opened, then I save them as e.g. "work1" and close all of them. Do something new, open and close other tabs and after a while I'm able to open my saved configuration "work1" again with one click.
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:TC will only have separate tabs per file panel. However, You will be able to open two directories in a new tab each by holding down Shift or Ctrl in the Ctrl+D menu. The problem with one tab for both panels is that the needed directory will always be on the wrong tab...
ghisler(Author) wrote:OK, an example: If the tabs would contain both the left and right directory, the following could happen:

Tab1: Source1 and Target1
Tab2: Source2 and Target2

Now the user needs to copy a file from Source1 to Target2. There is no easy way to do this, except for manually going from Target1 to Target2! With tabs per panel, it's easy: Just press Ctrl+Tab in the target window!
The "holding down Shift or Ctrl in the Ctrl+D menu" is the keyboard way, i was talking about a mouse-only way. As i said earlier, both tab solutions have their pros and cons.

What if a solution like http://www.geocities.com/wanderer510/images/image2.jpg is implemented like this: when the user presses a button (the "Devel dir" button for instance - notice i said button now, not tab), the two appropriate tabs would be selected from the existing source-dest tabs (or if they have been closed, two new tabs will be created automatically). I just transfer the "keyboard" solution to a "mouse" (visual) one. In order for that to work properly though, other things will be needed like the creation of a new button bar, maybe some right-click menus for "creating a new button on the button bar containing the source-dest paths", perhaps an new "show in button bar" option in every element of the Ctrl+D\Configure window. What do you think? Maybe an implementation of something like that in a later version?
ghisler(Author) wrote:Anything else that I should add?
Well, you don't have to add everything now. Be sure that even if you add 1000 features now, you or someone else will certainly come up with the 1001st just after you release the new version! That's what always happens, isn't it? :)
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Lucas_C

Post by *Lucas_C »

ghisler(Author) wrote: Anything else that I should add?
Well, eh, what is the status of the mouse interface to the tabs? I made some suggestions in http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=8721#8721.

- Can you drag tabs from the left pane to the right pane (or vv)?

- Can you re-order tabs by dragging them?

- Does middle-click on a directory (or packed file) open it in a new tab? If so, does it open in a new tab in the same pane or in the other pane? And does the new tab jump to the foreground, or can it stay in the background?