Replacing default windows file manager with totalcmd

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pasteau

Post by *pasteau »

Jonas, as i know this dialog is in the system's .dll, and i'm not sure, that this is possible in such simple way as in replacing explorer.

poiuytr, what you have done to do thing about what you talking? I haven't flashget or getright, but i can tell you how to find answer.

1. go to the dialog box of your program which can combine/dissociate with IE
2. open regmon, filter only for this app
3. check option, if needed click apply, and analyze your log in regmon

ps.
check this key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt\
Jonas

Post by *Jonas »

In the thread in the german board (the one I mentioned) are several links where it is described how to do it. But because TC is written in Delphi, I don't know how useful these informations are....
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

pasteau wrote: check this key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt\
Yes i found it by myself before i post my first message :wink:. All keys i found there refer to some *.htm file with VBScript code.
There is a part of it:

Code: Select all

set JetCarCatch=CreateObject("JetCar.Netscape")
I guess this is a call to some internet explorer compatible plugin.

Since i use MyIE2 as my browser i can redefine external ftp client but in pure internet explorer there is no such possibility :(
on

Post by *on »

It is possible to "integrate" TC to Internet Explorer's right click menu. As downloaders (FlashGeet, GetRight etc.) do: "Download with TC" or "Open with TC" for ftp links.
yep, the same question i've posted ;-)
zeruyo

Post by *zeruyo »

It is possible to "integrate" TC to Internet Explorer's right click menu. As downloaders (FlashGeet, GetRight etc.) do: "Download with TC" or "Open with TC" for ftp links.
maybe the browser plugin is for you?
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

I've been reading this topic again, and I see the good advantages that will result by replacing Explorer by Total Commander with the new tabbed interface.
Will it be support in command line for opening new tabs (left/right) in an unique instance of Total Commander??

Bye.
sergeycentral

Post by *sergeycentral »

oh how i wish i could somehow use TC instead of the windows save dialog :roll:
jb

Post by *jb »

CoMiKe wrote:I've been reading this topic again, and I see the good advantages that will result by replacing Explorer by Total Commander with the new tabbed interface.
Will it be support in command line for opening new tabs (left/right) in an unique instance of Total Commander??
Interesting question/suggestion! I think this feature could be useful. Then again I wonder why and how often do TC users use the Windows Explorer to open a folder with TC :?: I guess it's quite rarely.
But anyway, already now you can enforce to use one of the running instances of TC V5.51 by the command line option /O. It seems that the most recently used instance of TC is reused. Alternatively the instances could be sorted by the start time. So it would be possible to specify a unique instance.

I created the following .reg file to add a TC item to the folder context menu of the Windows Explorer:

Code: Select all

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell]
@="TC"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\TC]
@="Browse with Total Commander"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\TC\command]
@=""D:\\Program Files\\TotalCmd\\TOTALCMD.EXE" /O "%1""
Differences to pasteau's version:
  1. Regedit4 (standard) instead of Regedit5 (Unicode).
  2. More explicit title "Browse with Total Commander" for menu item (non-empty default value for key ...\shell\TC).
    It seems that key names should not contain spaces, although in my registry I found a key named "...\shell\Browse with Paint Shop Pro".
  3. Use of option /O to reuse most recently used instance of TC.
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

Thanks, jb. It works fine.

Hope it also works as expected with tabs. :-)
e-nighthawk

Post by *e-nighthawk »

I'm using modified version of TC - TC Power Pack (this is TC with plugins in install version - http://en.totalcmd.pl/).

How I resolve this problem ? (I have OS in Polish - sorry if bellow will some differences in translation to English):
In Menu Settings (Tools) / Folders Option / Type of Files (registered types of files), you have to click on Folder, then click Advanced, then New... give new name for example Open_in_TC,
As application for action write for example:
"D:\Zainstalowane\TC PowerPack\TCPowerPack.exe" /CONTEXT "%1" – you have to give the right path of course, path where you have installed your TC.

Now you have to put new position Open_in_TC as default.

If you have market in TC allow only o1 copy of Total Commander at a time all folders will open in last opened tab. If not - in new copy of TC.

If you want to force TC to open folders always in new tabs hou have to add parameter /T . You can add also /O -TC can't open more than 1 copy. For example:
"D:\Zainstalowane\TC PowerPack\TCPowerPack.exe" /CONTEXT /T "%1"

It's work without any problems if you use TC PowerPack 1.7 (based on TC ver. 6.54a)

In older versions of TC PowerPack / TC system folders like My Documents and folders on desktop will open only as a first letter of drive where they are located.