Auto-completion in command-line forces extra <Enter> k

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

now

Auto-completion in command-line forces extra <Enter> k

Post by *now »

Say that I want to change directory to a directory which path I have in the clipboard. In 6.55 I'd just type -> to get to the command line and type

cd <Ctrl-V><Enter>

to paste the path I want to go to and then press <Enter>. Now I have to do

cd <Ctrl-V><Enter><Enter>

because the auto-completion list is open, containing only one item (the path I pasted, which is valid), the first <Enter> will "confirm" the completion and then I have to type <Enter> again to actually execute the command.

If I disable auto-complete paths under "Operation" in the Configuration dialog it works as before, which is natural. But it would be nice to be able to have paths be auto-completed and be able to paste paths and only type <Enter> once.[/i]
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

If it would be executed with the first Enter press, there would be no possibility to add more content into the command line...

cd <path> command is not the end of the world, it's just the beginning.

Icfu
This account is for sale
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

2icfu
Look how autocompletion works in msoffice. If the string entered is the same as one of suggested by autocompletion AND there are no other strings autocompletion can suggest, then autocompletion just disappears, leaving the user to either keep typing or press Enter and confirm input. However, if the user press Backspace, autocompletion is invoked again.

So after now does cd Ctrl+V he should be able either type more letters or just press Enter and get the command fulfilled.
F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab... - I like to move IT, move IT!..
now

Post by *now »

XPEHOPE3KA wrote:2icfu
Look how autocompletion works in msoffice. If the string entered is the same as one of suggested by autocompletion AND there are no other strings autocompletion can suggest, then autocompletion just disappears, leaving the user to either keep typing or press Enter and confirm input. However, if the user press Backspace, autocompletion is invoked again.

So after now does cd Ctrl+V he should be able either type more letters or just press Enter and get the command fulfilled.
Precisely.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

If you request to autoclose the autocompletion box (or to not open it at all) when no alternatives can be proposed, I support your request of course! I just don't want to have Enter execute a command when the autocompletion list is opened, obviously a misunderstanding, sorry.

Unfortunately the autocompletion doesn't work like expected anyway, for me at least. I would definetely prefer to have the feature work like in TAR:

- Autocompletion proposals pop up on request only (Alt-Down)
- Autocompletion proposal toggling with TAB/Shift-Tab
- only the present path section is highlighted so Backspace can delete a complete hierarchy level
- etc...

Unfortunately I haven't been heard, so now we have an autocompletion feature that is way too basic. Too bad.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2icfu
Autocompletion proposal toggling with TAB/Shift-Tab
Did you try this?
history wrote:Added: Control how the Tab key works in the command line when auto-complete is enabled: [configuration] AutoCompleteTab= 0: Tab switches to active file list; 1: Choose next file from auto-complete, as '0' if nothing to complete; 2: Choose next file from auto-complete, ignore tab if nothing to complete
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Maybe I should not visit the forum for one month until I have learned everything and checked the history.txt? I haven't even started with that one, way too much input... ;)

Thanks, that setting is an enhancement and fulfils one wish!

So, the request is changed to:
Automatical section highlighting (Backspace deletes, Space confirms and adds a space)
Popup only on demand

Icfu
This account is for sale
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

Maybe I should not visit the forum for one month until I have learned everything and checked the history.txt?
Well, if you can read _fast_, maybe you could check back after a week or so :wink:
[OT]
I've had a quick look and the history list of v7's additions and fixes contains about 800 lines, so there might hide more than one useful thingy in there that is not mentioned in the 'what's new'-section in help.

Check these unobtrousive enhancements for example:

Code: Select all

13.02.06  Added: Alt+F10 Tree: Support for wildcards * and ? just like in normal quick search
30.04.06  Added: Alt+F10 tree: Use Ctrl+Cursor up/down to jump to previous/next match of search string
[/OT]
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Unfortunately the Alt-F10 dialog hasn't been equipped with a full Explorer tree as well, optionally with a checkbox of course. Forgotten, maybe, or is there an ini setting as well? ;)

In fact Alt-F10 is the feature I use most often to jump to directories.

Icfu
This account is for sale
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

or is there an ini setting as well?
Well, I fear not, but: "Irgendwas is ja immer"

In fact Alt-F10 is the feature I use most often to jump to directories.
Me too, therefore I consider the mentioned enhancements as extremely useful.
That doesn't neglect further improvements though...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

the first <Enter> will "confirm" the completion and then I have to type <Enter> again to actually execute the command.
Yes, this is intentional, so the user has a way to change what he typed. In many cases you will want to append parameters, which you couldn't do if ENTER executed directly.
Unfortunately the Alt-F10 dialog hasn't been equipped with a full Explorer tree
Sorry, it would take forever to expand all children of an Explorer tree, especially when considering network drives...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

2ghisler(Author)
Yes, this is intentional, so the user has a way to change what he typed. In many cases you will want to append parameters, which you couldn't do if ENTER executed directly.
Please, take a look at this post: http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=99742#99742
Can you do that?
F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab... - I like to move IT, move IT!..
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I don't know how they do it (we are using a very old office here with no autocomplete). They are probably not using the "official" autocomplete from Explorer or file open dialogs...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Sorry, it would take forever to expand all children of an Explorer tree, especially when considering network drives...
I don't want to expand all network drives, this could indeed be problematic. What I have in mind is a possibility to call Alt-F10 and to be able to search at least all local drives in one go. I can do that with Locate – it does NOT take ages but is extremely fast – but I can't do that with TC, which is a severe limitation in functionality.

Also you should not worry about the users' computer power if they decide to use an OPTIONAL feature. It's obvious that expanding 10 drives needs more time than expanding one, that's why a checkbox in dialog can help.

Alternative:
At least include an option to switch the drive directly in Alt-F10 dialog! It's very annoying to be forced to switch target dir to the correct drive before calling the copy dialog and directory tree. A simple dropdown list in dialog can do the trick.

Icfu
This account is for sale
jcelle

Post by *jcelle »

Hello,
Is there a setting to turn auto completion in command line OFF ?