Information on how to use the ssl/tls feature for secure ftp

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately the OpenSSL dlls from OpenSSL.Org now require the MS VC++ 2008 runtime, which cannot be installed on an USB stick.

Solution: Use the dlls from the libcurl package:
http://curl.haxx.se/download.html

Please scroll down to the section named "Win32 - Generic"
and download the following package (or a newer one):
Win32 2000/XP 7.18.2 libcurl SSL enabled Günter Knauf 1.54 MB
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
TheWink

Post by *TheWink »

Thank you very very much for your tip :).
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

@ghisler:
Please update the first posting and link the libcurl dlls in there, to prevent more questions like that.

Icfu
This account is for sale
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK, done!
bviktor

Post by *bviktor »

FYI: up-to-date openssl libs (libeay32.dll + ssleay32.dll + zlib1.dll) with mozilla's certificate list (cert.pem) built for windows xp or newer for both x86 and x64 can be found on the xchat-wdk site, google for openssl-wdk (i can't post links just yet). it just works, no need for the vc redist.

i think we could work on an openssl installer made specifically for total commander, i'd gladly participate and keep you updated, but some kind of hosting would be nice (i could host them on the xchat-wdk site but it's just not the way it should be done imho).
belveder

Post by *belveder »

Hi ,
I have that feature working when trying to connect to some sites
but on most just comes with the message " lost connection " Retry ?"
Do I need some kind of updated cerificates list or ...
bviktor

Post by *bviktor »

belveder: which openssl build are you trying to use?
gulikoza

Post by *gulikoza »

Any idea why TC does not complete the connection when CCC is specified in Send commands. The connection just hangs...Does TC know it must switch off SSL/TLS? Using 7.56a.
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

I don't think TC analyzes the content of Send commands, it just sends whatever is there to server. So it doesn't know the connection was switched back to unencrypted.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2gulikoza
Can you post a log of the failing ftp connection? CCC is supported by TC, it should send the command, and then immediately switch to clear. Unfortunately none of the servers I tried supports CCC (FileZilla, RaidenFTPd, Pure-FTPd), so I cannot test it right now. TC expects that the reply to CCC is still encrypted, but after that the connection is clear.

Btw, why do you need CCC?
gulikoza

Post by *gulikoza »

Passive mode still needs to inspect control channel on the server to open proper ports (unless static ports are assigned to ftpd server). CCC seems like a good compromise between security and usability...
If I put CCC in send commands then ftp is not completely opened (the ftp toolbar does not appear) so I cannot post the log. Similarly, if I type CCC after the connection and then do a directory refresh, it will not be completed. I'll give you the login details to my ftp server on the PM (no PM...e-mail then :D)
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

I did few tests. CCC in Send commands:

1) works fine with IIS FTP 7.5 (available for free in Windows Vista/2008 and newer)

2) does not work with Gene6 FTP Server (shareware, www.g6ftpserver.com), but it seems to be server fault.
From user perspective there's FTP connection window and everything is fine up to the point when CCC is sent to server. Code 200 reply can be clearly seen for brief moment and then connection window simply disappears. All subsequent attempts to connect to any FTP server end with TC unable to resolve address.
On network level (packet sniffer is our friend) there's usual encrypted connection first, then the encryption is switched off and TC's plain-text PWD is visible. But the reply packet from server is "binary garbage", so probably still encrypted. The PWD command does not appear in server log either.
gulikoza

Post by *gulikoza »

I see something similar with proftpd. With packet sniffer after CCC, PWD is visible, then some garbage then another pwd but the reply from the server is clear text this time, but TC seems to be already out of sync...

edit: bah, it must have been some previous connection. This time I'm only seeing a single PWD and encrypted response. I'll see what I can find out in the proftpd sources...
gulikoza

Post by *gulikoza »

SSL shutdown fails with:

SSL_shutdown error [1]:
(1) error:1408F10B:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong version number

on the server (but another bug in proftpd prevented that message to be printed into tls.log). I'm not that experienced in SSL to know why that fails but I'll try to keep looking.
gulikoza

Post by *gulikoza »

Does TC correctly support bidirectional SSL shutdown on CCC?

Here's a bug report for proftpd that mentions this kind or error (and hanging client) can occur if TLS is not properly closed on the client as well:

http://bugs.proftpd.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2994