Information on how to use the ssl/tls feature for secure ftp

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MarcinW
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MarcinW »

I just installed both Win32 OpenSSL v1.0.1g Light and Win64 OpenSSL v1.0.1g Light on the 64-bit Windows 7 machine. During the installation process, I used the (default) option to place DLLs in the Windows system directory. And I can confirm that both 32-bit and 64-bit TC support secure FTP connections now.

Note: The OpenSSL installers may raise false alarms, stating that Visual C++ 2008 Redistributables are not installed.

The easiest way to remember how to find these OpenSSL binaries on the web is: go to openssl.org, select "Related" in the left menu and "Binaries" in the upper menu. Follow the "OpenSSL for Windows" link - you will get redirected to the page with binary builds for Windows.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

2MarcinW
Thanks for trying. I tried the 32bit version and have some comments.

*It seems to work and I get no error, but the dll files seem to be dependent on MSVCR90.dll which is absent on my system.

*Uninstalling does NOT uninstall the dlls from the Windows system folder.

*This package does not contain libssh2.dll. If users need this too (for Secure FTP plugin) they need another package.

*Copying the dlls to the windows system folder is fine but makes Total Commander less portable.
ache

Post by *ache »

the dll files seem to be dependent on MSVCR90.dll which is absent on my system.
You need to install 32/64bit redist from http://slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html too.
This package does not contain libssh2.dll. If users need this too (for Secure FTP plugin) they need another package
It is pure OpenSSL, not OpenSSH lib, you need to install the rest from curl.
Copying the dlls to the windows system folder is fine but makes Total Commander less portable
Don't do that, just copy them to the totalcmd folder.
MarcinW
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MarcinW »

Installing DLLs to Windows system folder has one advantage - they are easily upgradable. When upgrading OpenSSL, all we need is just to install a new version - no need to replace any DLLs in any other places.
mikdoe

Post by *mikdoe »

MarcinW wrote:The easiest way to remember how to find these OpenSSL binaries on the web is: go to openssl.org, select "Related" in the left menu and "Binaries" in the upper menu. Follow the "OpenSSL for Windows" link - you will get redirected to the page with binary builds for Windows.
Where can I find the 6 dll's for 32 Bit TCMD actually?