Some 24x24 icons are cut in button bar

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Some 24x24 icons are cut in button bar

Post by *icfu »

First of all: Your icons are very nice, StickyNomad! :)

But, unfortunately there is an issue with 24*24 icons. Some of them are so big, using every single pixel, that the top of them is cut.

This is a screenshot of the default.bar how it looks here, check the FTP and URL icon:
http://icfu.totalcmd.net/TC/Images/TC_24x24_icons_cut_at_top.png

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2icfu
Could you please post your button bar settings?
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Yep, good hint! :)

This was the problematic config:

Code: Select all

Buttonheight=29
FlatIcons=0
SmallIcons=0
XPstyle=1
SmallIconSize=16
Increasing Buttonheight from 29 to 30 solves the problem, which then results in a button size 25 inside TC config. I had entered 24 there which seemed natural for me.

Is there any info available about these differences?

Icfu
Last edited by icfu on 2006-11-02, 11:28 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2icfu
I really recommand you to use the "Small icons" option now. It has been improved dramatically in TC 7. "Small icons" doesn't mean anymore that the 16² icon is used but the icon nearest to the value of "SmallIconSize". This can be also set in the button bar dialog. The result is a button which displays the icon unscaled when entering an icon size contained in the command icon library. The library currently contains 16², 24² and 32². Entering 24 as small icon size will give you great looking buttons. The button itself should be set a few pixels larger - 28 for example.

Disabling "Small icons" will scale the icon to the button size. This option works just like in TC <7 (imho ugly) but the icons are really 24². You can't complain about that :)
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Thanks for the info, that's missing in help file until now... ;)

Anyway, I think it's strange that you have to enter a height of "25" in buttonbar config and this value is then stored as a "30" inside wincmd.ini to make a 24*24 icon fit. The same adjustment, 24 => 25, has to be done when "Little Icons" is activated, so there is no difference here besides the cut icon looks a little better maybe.
This option works just like in TC <7 (imho ugly) but the icons are really 24². You can't complain about that
I don't doubt that they are NOT 24*24 but there is a difference between classic and XP styles, I was wrong above. TC buttonbar height is optimized for XP styles, so if you enter 24 you get an exact fit. It's ok like that, but it should be mentioned in the help file that users have to take care about that themselves when they switch to classic mode, otherwise they get a squeezed view.

By the way, why are the descriptions of the two size fields that bad?
The first one should be called BUTTONHEIGHT instead of "size".
The second one should be called ICONSIZE, right now it doesn't have any name which is very confusing.

Also the term "Little Icons" is far from being perfect, it should be changed to something more meaningful like "match iconsize".

Icfu
This account is for sale
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2icfu
First of all: Your icons are very nice, StickyNomad!
Thanks! :D
Clo

Changed…

Post by *Clo »

2icfu

:) Hi Jeff !

• I use 24² icons now (5 bars, my own, though). The display of that size is now quite OK (hard ! ).
- In French we have changed the antiquated confusing naming that no longer matched with 7.0.
So, the settings are (right hand side, from top to bottom) here for instance :
Button size [ 24 ]
[ ] XP Style
[x] Flat icons
[ ] Icon size [ 16 ] (default greyed)
- I prefer flat icons to get 35 ones per bar (in which 30 "useful" and 5 for the circular call and bars changes, one does the two for each bar).

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

By the way, why are the descriptions of the two size fields that bad?
Believe me, the description of these items has been questioned and tried changed during alpha test ;-)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Nice to hear that it has been "questioned"...

I mean, this is a public beta, many people will see that dialog and will ask the same questions as me. I don't have any desires to answer these later just because the description sucks.

It's the same crap with "Load bitmaps as graphics at startup". I am using TC for years and still don't know what this phrase means, it's developer blabla that is definetely not targetted at end users.

Why not call it "check this for getting banana" instead? Then people would at least try it when they have a problem with the lister.

@Clo:
Looks like you have made your homework, maybe I should switch to French language file? ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale