Hidden files & FTP upload

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pjotrb

Hidden files & FTP upload

Post by *pjotrb »

I wanted to upload a large directory structure to an FTP server - all files, *except* for a few directories and files at several locations inside the structure.

So I made those directories and files "hidden + system", and then I switched TotalCmd to not show hidden and system files. Then I started the upload by pressing F5 at the base directory of the structure.

After a while I noticed that: (a) visible files inside hidden/system directories were still being uploaded, and (b) hidden/system files were also being uploaded. That is both not what I would expect. Is this a known problem? I think a fix is needed, I hope you will agree.

This happens in TotalCmd 7-pb1, and also in TotalCmd 6.55.

Bye,
Peter
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I'm not sure whether I should change that or not, because it has been like this for years. What do other users think?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Dont change this just because a file is hidden+system doesnt mean it shouldnt be copied :!:

@pjotrb: learn to use the new ignore feature.
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:Dont change this just because a file is hidden+system doesnt mean it shouldnt be copied
Agree.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I agree with pjotrb.

Uploading hidden files when show hidden files is off, is a security risk, I'd even call it a bug if it's not possible to change it.

To not break the present behaviour, just make it optional.

Icfu
This account is for sale
pjotrb

Post by *pjotrb »

Okay, I now see all the aspects of this story.

It appears that the setting "Show hidden/system files" only affects what we see in the file panels, and nothing else.
So when deleting or copying entire directories, all their content is processed, regardless of this setting (although in case of Delete, it asks for extra confirmation). Sometimes processing all would be an advantage; sometimes a disadvantage.

In the case of FTP upload I would call it a disadvantage: the hidden/system files are uploaded silently, and I am not given a choice of what I'd like do. "icfu" calls this a security risk, and I fully agree with him.
Having TotalCmd ask me what to do with those files would be a definite improvement, easy to implement, and probably little or no burden for everyday use.
There already is extra confirmation when deleting hidden/system files, and with good reason; I'd like it to do the same for Copy and Upload operations.

Peter