%P parameter too strict

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

%P parameter too strict

Post by *roentgen »

Take the following start menu entry:
command: %programfiles%\Media Tools\MPlayer\mplayer.exe
parameters: ?dvd://1 -dvd-device %p

The %p is converted to 'F:\' (mind the trailing backslash) and mplayer really doesn't like that, it expects simply 'F:'.
Also, when trying to play a DVD-video copied onto hard disk and the path contains spaces, there are no quotes around the expanded path when using %P (please don't tell me I need to use %p and DOS features in XP era and year 2006).

Also, I know this is not one of the greatest features in mplayer (and this may be considered a bug on their side), but hell, this is not the only case, there are no standards concerning the problem (and who would follow them if they were :P?) and having one more parameter that sends dir paths without the backslash at the end wouldn't hurt.
TC for Linux please!
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Re: %P parameter too strict

Post by *wanderer »

roentgen666 wrote:Take the following start menu entry:
command: %programfiles%\Media Tools\MPlayer\mplayer.exe
parameters: ?dvd://1 -dvd-device %p

The %p is converted to 'F:\' (mind the trailing backslash) and mplayer really doesn't like that, it expects simply 'F:'.
Yeagh, i guess a parameter without the trailing slash might be good.
roentgen666 wrote:Also, when trying to play a DVD-video copied onto hard disk and the path contains spaces, there are no quotes around the expanded path when using %P (please don't tell me I need to use %p and DOS features in XP era and year 2006).
Well, we'll tell you that! :) There are still some programs out there which may look and work in a modern way but their authors have not given them the ability to understand the meaning of spaces in the command line. Some may treat the whole command line as a long filename and others treat the spaces as parameter separators, so these TC options are still very useful.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

2wanderer
Well, we'll tell you that! There are still some programs out there which may look and work in a modern way but their authors have not given them the ability to understand the meaning of spaces in the command line.
TC included :P. But that is not problem here as I don't think there are programs that understand paths that contain spaces without quotes around them.
TC for Linux please!
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

roentgen666 wrote:2wanderer
Well, we'll tell you that! There are still some programs out there which may look and work in a modern way but their authors have not given them the ability to understand the meaning of spaces in the command line.
TC included :P. But that is not problem here as I don't think there are programs that understand paths that contain spaces without quotes around them.
only if they accept 1 parameter (filename) ;)
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

Hej roenten666 whats up !?

long time no see....
Habemus majkam!
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

2majkinetor !
long time no see....
What can I say... I'm more of a reader...
Anyway... should I understand that you support my complaints or did you just missed me? :P
TC for Linux please!
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

What can I say... I'm more of a reader...
Yeah.
And what do you read now :P

Anyway.... didn't read your request, but I support it anyway :P
So, I gues that I just missed you.
Habemus majkam!