Remove device problem

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

telmich

Remove device problem

Post by *telmich »

When I want to remove my USB stick safely using the Tray Icon it does not work, if it is displayed in the active Tab of TC. But it can be removed safely if the Tab is inactive.
If you just unplug it the Path of the tab displaying it is changed to C:\ without a message.
It would be nice if removing External devices safely also works when there is an active tab showing the device content in TC.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2telmich
It would be nice if removing External devices safely also works when there is an active tab showing the device content in TC.
I dont think so. We are talking about "safely removing". How can windows know that TC just shows the files on a USB drive doing nothing? Safety means: you can remove the stick if no progam has active access to it.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
telmich

Post by *telmich »

you can remove the stick if no program has active access to it.
But when explorer displays the content of the device (is that inactive access?), it is possible to remove the device safely. So I thought it should be possible in TC, too.

In TC 6.x it was possible to safely remove when the Device content was displayed in the target and TC was in background. With TC 7.0pb1 this is not possible any longer.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

But when explorer displays the content of the device (is that inactive access?)
I think Safely remove hardware is simply a function of the Explorer, so it is able to tell if it is using the usb drive or not. IMHO, not sure tho.
In TC 6.x it was possible to safely remove when the Device content was displayed in the target and TC was in background. With TC 7.0pb1 this is not possible any longer.
Oh, I didnt know that!
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

In TC 6.x it was possible to safely remove when the Device content was displayed in the target and TC was in background
This is NOT true. It depends on what directory change you made last. If you changed the directory last in the other panel, then the current directory will be there, and the drive is not active.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
telmich

Post by *telmich »

ghisler(Author) wrote:This is NOT true. It depends on what directory change you made last. If you changed the directory last in the other panel, then the current directory will be there, and the drive is not active.
But there was a possibility to securely remove a device even though it it was displayed in an inactive Total Commander.

What is the bug for me:
A minimized Total Commander which is idle should not have active drives.
It would be nice to be able to safely remove devices in this case.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

A minimized Total Commander which is idle should not have active drives.
TC (in opposite to Win Explorer) sets the Current Directory entry if you change into a directory.

This is by design, and necessary for executing at a lot of programs.

As a matter of fact this will inhibit a "save removal".
You cannot have both ...
#5767 Personal license
telmich

Post by *telmich »

In this case I accept the fact that it is impossible to allow save removal even if Total Commander is minimized.

Thank you sga_wizard for the explanation.

Sorry for the inconvenience.