2 cents about new icons

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Raymond

2 cents about new icons

Post by *Raymond »

Firest of all, thanks StickyNomad for making TC prettier.:)
IMHO there's still space to improve though. Here is my 2 cents.

Please see captured image first. First one uses default new icons. Second one uses my own diy ICL (I steal the new folder icon.:D). The third shows current application icon I'm using.

Here is my 2 cents about new icons.

1. Folder and archieve colors are alike, a little hard to tell each other.
How about use different colors for each of them? Personally I prefer archieve color being similar with WinRAR or WinZip default icon color.

2. If background is deep dark, "parent dir" icon looks not so obverious. It's better this icon color fit both dark or light background.

3. Now that StickyNomad is considering about new application icon, I think the one I'm using now is kinda cool. Anyone like this kind of style?

Of course I konw, icon thing is a matter of personal taste, after all.:D
Fedorov

Post by *Fedorov »

I agree about the folder & archive icons being too similar in squareness and colour, way too much yellow on view when I'm view many folders with archives in them.

I also used to use a custom WinRAR style multi-coloured icon, I think your sample screenshot shows how much of a visual improvement it makes.

Anyone else agree?

Regards,

Fedorov.
Jordi

Re: 2 cents about new icons

Post by *Jordi »

Raymond wrote:1. Folder and archieve colors are alike, a little hard to tell each other.
I guess this is intentional. After all, folders and archives can be treated almost equally. Windows explorer icons are even more similar, with archives being represented by zipped folders. ;-)
Personally I prefer archieve color being similar with WinRAR or WinZip default icon color.
I always found them too playful...
2. If background is deep dark, "parent dir" icon looks not so obverious. It's better this icon color fit both dark or light background.
Yes, you have something there, athough I prefer a light background.
3. Now that StickyNomad is considering about new application icon, I think the one I'm using now is kinda cool. Anyone like this kind of style?
I do like the colours. They go well with my Ashen theme. :-)

Jordi
menet

Post by *menet »

Fedorov wrote:Anyone else agree?
+1 :wink:
#22273 Personal licence
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I agree that folder and archive icons should have different colours, or at least archive should be darker, maybe brown.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Jordi

Post by *Jordi »

icfu wrote:I agree that folder and archive icons should have different colours, or at least archive should be darker, maybe brown.
That's why I use a combination of Windows folders icons and (a lighter version of) StickyNomad's archive icon: http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/7861/bild1fw2.png

(But of course, this is not a solution for the default icons.)

Jordi
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

Support+.

Personally, i never liked that box for archives.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2Raymond
Thanks for your suggestions.

About the archive icon:
Actually my previous versions showed a more brownish package (as you can see in jordi's shot), but the author stated that he prefers to have a look more similar to the original yellow package.

I'd also prefer the archive symbols look _slightly_ more different than the folder icons. I won't use completely differently colored icons (like the winrar ones) here, as -like jordi said above- folders and archives are indeed treated in a similar way and therefore some kind of similarity should be visual. I think the package-metaphor is mandatory, as the author priorizes a good re-recongizability. I also think the package in general is a perfect and straight metaphor for packing, so I think the package will be kept. But I'll try around with that, maybe can vary the package color a bit to make it more outstanding to the folder symbols.

And you're right about the 'parent dir'-icon, I will see what I can do here to make it more visible on dark backgrounds...

About the Application Icon:
Your Icon looks quite nice, although I personally prefer a little more clean and straight look. And the author stated that he wants to keep the blue floppy for reasons of recognizability. But perhaps the main icon may change in a later version, when nobody remembers floppies anymore :wink:

I'm playing around from time to time with a few ideas for a new TC-logo, perhaps I find something suitable some day.
Fedorov

Post by *Fedorov »

Thanks Sticky, please also bear in mind that some of us don't allow TC to treat archives as folders and prefer to use WinRAR (or alternatives) to handle everything so I prefer them more distinct :)
PeaceMaker

Post by *PeaceMaker »

2StickyNomad

What about a pool of new TC main icon :?:
[face=tahoma]LICENSE NUMBER: #101897 Single user license (since: 6th February 2004)
CURRENT VERSION: Total Commander 9.00 beta 12 (released: 31st August 2016)
[/face]
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

The NTFS junctions icon still looks a bit outdated...
If I may suggest: it should look like folders icon with a (very) small arrow in center.
TC for Linux please!
Stiltzkin

Post by *Stiltzkin »

i made this for my personal use:

Image: http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/4567/folderzipbb9.png

its like a bastard child from winxp's zipfldr.dll and stickynomads folder icon :wink:
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I am against a junction icon with a "very small" arrow. Junctions are dangerous (Explorer deletion method is always lurking for a chance) and should have an offensive different symbol to make the user aware that this is not a normal directory. A very small arrow could easily be interpreted as an overlay done by desktop.ini on a "normal" directory.

Sorry for being a spoilsport. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2icfu
Junctions are dangerous (Explorer deletion method is always lurking for a chance)
Did you know that the operating system function which is called by the "Explorer delete method" supports reparse point handling?
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

If it does, I wonder why Microsoft itself doesn't use it in Explorer. Or do they start using it in Vista? Do you have a link?

Icfu
This account is for sale