Copy Option Skip does not work

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

SJB

Copy Option Skip does not work

Post by *SJB »

Hello,

sorry if some menu options are not exactly the same as in the english version, but I sitting here in front of a german exemplar :-)

So, I think its a bug, that if I try to copy a whole "Documents and Settings/Username" directory and enable in the copy dialog the Option "Options/Skip All", that the commander still tells me, that a file named parent.lock could not be copied and if I want to skip it.

I hope this could be fixed, as for backup reasons, I don't need this file, but want to copy as much settings as possible from this folder to restore the original as complete as possible.

Bye
Sven
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

if I try to copy a whole "Documents and Settings/Username" directory and enable in the copy dialog the Option "Options/Skip All", that the commander still tells me, that a file named parent.lock could not be copied and if I want to skip it
Well, it's not clearly named I guess. It only applies to overwriting files.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

The trouble is that this file can't be read and that for not could be copied. One solution would be to exclude those files that cannot be read.

When I copy my \%HOMEPATH% I can use the following:
copy 1file(s) to

C:\temp

Only files of this type:

*.* |usrClass.dat* NTUser.dat*

because usrClass.dat; usrClass.dat.LOG; NTUser.dat; NTUser.dat.LOG could not be copied. All files that fit the filter after "|" would be excluded.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
SJB

Post by *SJB »

Hi,

thank you for your answers.

So if that feature does not what I think it does (skipping unreadable files), is there planned such a feature?

Because I think it would be hard to explain my family that everytime such an error occurs, they just need to put the file into the blacklist. It would be better if I can just tell them what they need to copy to make a backup without any further interaction (also because transfering of some gigabytes takes a long time and when they come back after some hours and it is stuck at some megabytes, it would be confusing).

Bye
Sven
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The feature only skips files where the target only exists, not when there is a read error. Currently there is no way to skip files automatically on read errors, sorry.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com