Hardcoded font for tooltips

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Slavic

Hardcoded font for tooltips

Post by *Slavic »

I prefer to change the default TC font to Arial or Tahoma with equal or slightly increased size. The tooltips for the icon bar use the Dialog box font, selected in Options, but tips for two buttons just above "Attr" column seems use the hardcoded font MS Sans Serif 8:

[*] - Directory hotlist
[v] - History

It's a minor bug, but could it be possible to make these tips similar to others?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Confirmed!

Same thing with the tooltips for drive buttons - seems to use hardcoded font too.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Clo

Crappy font

Post by *Clo »

2Slavic

:) Hello !

Confirmed here too, we have still the hellish internal MS Sans Serif there for the drives buttons.

- I checked by adding “ ” (#147 - #148) in an info-text, it's not displayed, just black bars… :(

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, I have to use a hard-coded Microsoft Sans serif here to make sure that Unicode characters show up correctly.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

Microsoft Sans Serif and MS Sans Serif are two different font of two different types: MS Sans Serif is bitmap font, Microsoft Sans Serif is True Type !!!
Clo

no_no_no!

Post by *Clo »

2ghisler(Author)

:) Good evening,

• I confirm again, you do NOT use the Microsoft Sans Serif for the info-texts of the drive-buttons !

- Like I said above, just try to write the quoted characters in a drive-hint, they are missing !
Here is MS Sans Serif still, and its 29 missing upper ANSI characters !

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Indeed I was talking about the tips for files. The folder tips use a similar font so the tips look similar.
Slavic

Tooltip fonts

Post by *Slavic »

I carried out some tests to check the current tooltip fonts in different places. Here are the results (WinXP SP2):

Button bar
Dialog box font, user-selected size

Drive buttons and buttons [*], [v]
Main window font, 8pt (size is hardcoded)

Filename in the file list, if it's long and truncated (this option only)
File list font, user-selected size

File name in the file list, if it's long + Win32-style tips (these two only)

File name in the file list + Win32-style tips + Comments from Explorer

Conclusion: indeed, I haven't found the hardcoded font faces, but there are places with hardcoded font size. All three user-selected fonts are used for tooltips in different circumstances; but the right font face for interface (and also for tooltip) can always be selected. In particular, I tested Arial Unicode MS in all 3 options. Hence, the lack of characters in some tooltips, reported above in this thread, ought to be caused by someone else but wrong font face.
Clo

Both hard-coded !

Post by *Clo »

2Slavic

Drive buttons and buttons [*], [v]
Main window font, 8pt (size is hardcoded)
• Sorry, this is wrong. Here I get always the hard-coded font size AND font face which is still MS Sans Serif, the font stated everywhere in the scripts of the programme !
- For the main window, I set Zurich CN BT, 8, bold - a complete narrow font, all characters are present - while for the hints of the items you quote, it's always the hard-coded one which is displayed !
- You can see that on THIS IMAGE, where the hint for the drive (K) is obviously MS Sans Serif (I'd to use «…» because the “…” are missing). The interface font (i.e. the total and free spaces) has alright the font I chose for it.

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Slavic

Post by *Slavic »

Hello, Clo! :)

I have thoroughly tested these tips (drive and 2 buttons) again. The results are the same as before, at least, on my PC. I suppose that in some cases fonts could be substituted by the OS, but I always see the font I set, with size about 8 pt. Here are some pictures (really I checked a lot of fonts):
Image: http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/6/7/54504/test/tooltips.png

Important note: contrary to the common behaviour of fonts in TC, changing the Main window font in configuration settings doesn't immediately change this tooltip font. You have to close TC and start it again, before this the font remains the same. I suppose, this font is read from TC configuration only once at programme start (old piece of code? :?).
Clo

Tss---

Post by *Clo »

2Slavic

• Tss, tss… Just make the test I indicated and you'll see that the interface font is NEVER used there !
I've these fonts set for a while, I'd to restart TC one thousand times since I do,
and there is always MS Sans Serif for the drive hints,
the History and the Favourite folders buttons hints.
Nothing to do with the OS or whatever, this is hardcoded, font size and font face.

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Vansumsen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vansumsen »

:arrow: Slavic

Here, same as Clo ! The font displayed for the hints we are talking of is ALWAYS MS Sans Serif, no matter the font I set for the Interface !

So, that you show is impossible without some tweaking programme in addition.

- In French, these strings are in the LNG file, one can add in example #147...#148 characters into to test. They are NOT displayed, it's really MS Sans Serif always.
Ouistiti, #11943

L'important n'est pas de convaincre, mais de donner à réfléchir.
The important thing is not to convince, but to incite to think.

Slavic

Post by *Slavic »

Vansumsen wrote:So, that you show is impossible without some tweaking programme in addition.
Some tweaking... It may be so, but it wasn't intentional, I was able to change some default font/locale settings in OS. I use the Intl. English WinXP with Russian locales. Well, I will try to test this with default installation of TC on the machine with default Windows settings, but it could require some time...

However, these tips should be fixed in any case, no matter whether user can select a font face or not.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Font for drivebuttons still seems to use MS Sans Serif in TC7pb3...
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It will not be changed, sorry. It would be too complex.