[bug] copy/move of file/directory fails sporadically

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Leoloewe

[bug] copy/move of file/directory fails sporadically

Post by *Leoloewe »

Hi there,
sometimes when copying/moving large files (or a directory containing a large file) from one volume to the other I experience the following error message:
"Could not access source/target..." (translated from german :D)
Renaming the file works fine. Unfortunately, I didn't try to copy/move it to another folder on the same drive.
I activated the "use big file copy mode", using buffer sizes of 10240k for same disk and 64k for different disk. Setting "following drives on same physical disk" contains "CEFGHJ,DK,MY".
I always checked if there were some open handles (using Unlocker), but there weren't. Either using CTRL+X or switching the "default copy method" back on solves the problem.
I think I isolated the problem by turning the default method back on, and I want to emphasize that this only occurs sporadically.
I will watch this and post here - maybe it could also be a problem of AntiVir (but that wouldn't explain why it should work using STRG+X or the default copy method).

regards, Leo

===== EDIT ======
I forgot to mention that I am using TC 7 PB2, under Windows XP Pro SP1 on a AMD Mobile Sempron 3100+ with 1024MB RAM.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Windows needs a contiguous buffer in memory for large disk copy mode, because it copies the data directly (using DMA) from the disk to the memory and back. You can get this error if Windows cannot allocate this buffer. Try using a smaller buffer than 10 MB.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Leoloewe

Post by *Leoloewe »

Thanks for the reply.
This behavior is not quite obvious, although I understand the problem with the buffer.
I hope that my bug report was a false alarm :D