Bilingual error message with quick view of locked file

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

hoogenpi

Bilingual error message with quick view of locked file

Post by *hoogenpi »

When I try to quick view a TIF file (with ImgView) while the file is also open in the MS Office Document Imaging application then I get the bilingual error message: "Datei filename kann nicht geoffnet werden. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process". I suppose the error is correct but it should be all the same language. Not sure of this is TC7 or ImgView related.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

One part of the message may come from the plugin while the other - from the system. There are some API calls that allow to get information about the cause of the error, but Windows returns the text in its "native" language, of course.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
hoogenpi

Post by *hoogenpi »

It is still strange that part of the error message is in German while I only installed TC7 with the English language and my WinXP install is also English.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

hoogenpi
Maybe, the plugin ImgView has German messages inside.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Clo

Yes !

Post by *Clo »

2Flint

:) Hello K. !
Maybe, the plugin ImgView has German messages inside.
• Right ! I checked, and I can confirm that some error-messages are in German,
and not translatable normally since there is no LNG file… :|

:mrgreen: FR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
hoogenpi

Post by *hoogenpi »

Thanks, it must be ImgView related then. I will forward the observation to Michael Diegelmann, in case he still supports the ImgView plugin.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Please write to him that a lister plugin should NEVER show any error! It should just return NULL as the window, so the next plugin (or lister itself) can access the file!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
hoogenpi

Post by *hoogenpi »

I don't fully understand why the lister plugin should never show any error. For example, the ImgView plugin doesn't support all compression schemes of the TIF file format. When unsupported compression is used the plugin generates an error message so the user knows what is going on. Without the message the user would have to guess.

If no errors are returned then the next plugin can access the file but when would that happen and what would be the purpose? Can more than one plugin be used to view a file with for example a TIF extension and if the first one fails the second one can try to display the file?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Can more than one plugin be used to view a file with for example a TIF extension and if the first one fails the second one can try to display the file?
Yep. :)

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Can more than one plugin be used to view a file with for example a TIF extension and if the first one fails the second one can try to display the file?
Yes, that's EXACTLY the reason! For example, I always get an error from ImgView when switching through plugins by pressing the '4' key, and ImgView doesn't like the format - but all I wanted to achieve is to open the file with a plugin which comes after ImgView...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
hoogenpi

Post by *hoogenpi »

OK, that's clear. Michael made a new version of ImgView that makes showing the error messages optional (through a context menu setting) so that satisfies both our needs. The new version also allows files to be viewed which are in use. I found some other potential issues with the new version so I don't think it is ready for release yet.