Vista: Localized directory names

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
I'm not really convinced that this is a realistic scenario. The user who receives the virus also has to copy a prepared desktop.ini to the same directory.
Anyway the original topic is localized directory names.
Clo

Names that suck !

Post by *Clo »

2Lefteous

:) Hello Christian !

• Well, sorry if it's a bit aside the topic (although…), but here I've under XP-Pro :
Documents and Settings
  |
All Users
CLAUDE
  |
Application Data
Cookies
Local Settings
SendTo…
UserData
Default User
LocalService
NetworkService

Program Files
  |
MSN Gaming Zone
MSN Messenger
WindowsUpdate

Windows
  |
Connection Wizard
Cursors
Debug
Downloaded Installations
Downloaded Program Files
Driver Cache
Fonts
Help
Installer
Internet Logs
Offline Web Pages
PCHealth
RegisteredPackages
Registration
Resources
security
SoftwareDistribution
system
system32
Tasks
Web
… and a lot of others (sub-sub-dirs in Windows, for example).

• This is stated as a FRENCH Windows ! That sucks a lot !
- I'ld be much happier to get all these directories names in French, if possible without spaces, and properly named…

- I don't use Vista, and I guess I'll not use it tomorrow, even with a gun on my head !

- But it's also possible to make serious errors when such names are not understood…

• Just a modest (and selfish) thought that could be shared with a lot of non-English speakers, French and else…

:mrgreen: V.G.
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Clo
Hi Claude,

in older Windows versions (like Windows XP) Microsoft shipped diffrent language version of its operating system. Some localizations have more translated directory names some less. In Vista Microsoft introduces a new system for system directory localization. All directories are basically stored in English but it allows them to be displayed in the current user language. The fact that the current language is a per user setting is the reason why the directories are not really translated only displayed as such. When using Vista Ultimate you can download many language packs for the whole Windows interface.
For example you can create a user Claude on a computer who uses French as his interface language. System directories are displayed in French. There could be another user account on this computer called Christian. When this user logs in the system directories are displayed in German - only in Explorer so far. In TC they are displayed in English so far.

A competitor of Total Commander will add support for localized names in its next major version:
http://forum.speedproject.de/showpost.php?p=30610&postcount=5
Clo

I got---

Post by *Clo »

—> Lefteous

:) Hello Christian !

• Thank you for the answer. I've got the point about these names, and you confirm that I understood in the outlines.
…A competitor of Total Commander will add support for localized names in its next major version: …
• Nice for the SC users ! But I'll not rush to install it…
- Too expensive licence needing to be renewed continually… XML files and a mandatory tool to translate… No, thank you…
• However, when Sven adds the localized names feature, TC is in a disadvantage, that is sure !

• So, on principle I support your request¦point of view !

:mrgreen: V.G.
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

However, when Sven adds the localized names feature, TC is in a disadvantage, that is sure !
I disagree. Imagine the mess you get with external packers when you try to pack these pseudo-renamed files and directories! You cannot pass two names to a packer (the true name and the fake name).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

ghisler(Author) wrote:
However, when Sven adds the localized names feature, TC is in a disadvantage, that is sure !
I disagree.
I disagree too - since SC started suporting TC Plugins and costs Money for EVERY Major Update I dont see SC as A competitor of Total Commander anymore :twisted:
Hoecker sie sind raus!
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Sorry, I will never do that. Total Commander has ALWAYS shown what is on disk, not any fancy virtual folder simulations.
I wholeheartedly agree. I even think, introducing the Desktop and other virtual folders, was a bad move. Just see how many problems are reported in the forum because of them!
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Fortunately you don't need to use the desktop if you do not need it. It's just additional navigation, in addition to the normal file system. It wouldn't be that hard to use that also for all folders of the harddisk (the functions are already there), but you would lose the view to the underlying file system...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com