Basic file rename bug (invalid characters)

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gybe

Basic file rename bug (invalid characters)

Post by *gybe »

Hi!

When you manually rename a file and a new name contains an invalid character (such as question mark, colon...) the dialog says that the file is write protected, which is actually not true. ;)

TC 7, beta 3.
a second is already a couple of seconds away...
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Hi gybe and welcome to the forums.

I cannot confirm this with SHIFT+F6 (in-line rename). How do you perform the rename?

Edit: After a more extensive test, this happens if you use a colon only, not the "?" or "*", so i guess it can be considered a bug.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

Confirmed, reproducable with colon only. TC7pb3.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, I cannot change that. It's just a wrong message, but it's still not possible to use such a character. I simply get back a read error from MoveFile, so how should I know that there is an invalid character? On some network shares (e.g. MacOS), the strangest characters are allowed...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
I simply get back a read error from MoveFile
No the error returned from MoveFile in this case is 123 (ERROR_INVALID_NAME="The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.")
gybe

Post by *gybe »

Thanks for the warm welcome, people. ;)

Christian, now I see that message isn't that "incorrect" after all, since there's a "fileNAME" stated. ;) My compliments to your work. Among my friends you are a highly praised man. ;)
a second is already a couple of seconds away...
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

2gybe

If you stick around, you will find that this is a very warm and active community. If you have any contributions to TC (bugs, ideas and/or plugins perhaps if you are a developer), i'm sure they will be appreciated.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.