FSE-Fast Search Engine plugin

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

Why don't you add ini option:

FlatView = true | false

2 Sans
You are funny :)

BTW, why don't u make this plug open source ?
Habemus majkam!
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

2SanskritFritz
How about having an option to make the searches permanent?
To be honest? I'm too lazy, for this. But I swear - if sometime TC will allow to load plugin at startup I'll implement fast search on startup in background thread. :wink:
For me even the plain filenames are enough,
For me too, but it is absolutely impossible. :lol: What do you expect to see after search for "readme.txt"? Several files in the single folder with identical names? No chance.
Ctrl+B also problematic, because it handled by TC itself. I can add ini file settings "FlatView" for all searches or Ctrl+"properties" for specific search.

2majkinetor !
Why don't you add ini option:
Because first it have to be implemented. :)
Somebody want to develop such plugin? I'm ready to help with all my knowledge.
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

but I swear - if sometime TC will allow to load plugin at startup
I already suggested that here, but I don't expect this:

There is a way to execute plugin on startup now, using dummy content field. This requires to have content plugin along with your FS plugin witch sole purpose will be to start your FS resident part.
Because first it have to be implemented.
Except for the lack of time, is that a problem ?
Well, I wanted to do this thing for a while, without using Locate as its DB is open source. Your way is nicer as it requires no knowledge of Locate internals. It would be good to make it open source, I might add some code one day....

Thx.
Habemus majkam!
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

For me too, but it is absolutely impossible. Laughing What do you expect to see after search for "readme.txt"? Several files in the single folder with identical names? No chance.
I dont understand this. I thought (not knowing the internals of the plugin system) it works just like the normal filesystem, where after pressing ctrl-b, several files appear with the same filename.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

2majkinetor !
I already suggested that here, but I don't expect this:
Yes, I've seen it. I've suggested it before too. Without success but I hatch a hope.
There is a way to execute plugin on startup now, using dummy content field. This requires to have content plugin along with your FS plugin witch sole purpose will be to start your FS resident part.
Yes, I know. I've used this method in one of my plugins. Unfortunately this method have major drawback - user have to keep this plugin custom view as startup view. It good for me, but many users don't like it.
Except for the lack of time, is that a problem ?
High spirit. :wink:
It would be good to make it open source, I might add some code one day....
I prefer to help you write your own plugin (if you need such help). Ok?
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

2SanskritFritz
several files appear with the same filename.
It is big difference. TC offers to you kind of service "shows different files with same names", but TC know about difference between files. In FS-plugins TC knows only what plugin reports to TC. So plugin cannot report about different files with the same name in the same location.
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

Unfortunately this method have major drawback - user have to keep this plugin custom view as startup view. It good for me, but many users don't like it.
No, it has not. Read the entire procedure I posted in the mentioned topic.
I prefer to help you write your own plugin (if you need such help). Ok?
That was not the point. This plugin is preatty much trivial. However, even the trivial things require time. That was the point.
Habemus majkam!
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

TC wrote:Error, could not load plugin!
H:\TC\bin\..\plugin\wfx\FSE\FSE.wfx
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

2majkinetor !
Read the entire procedure
Believe me, I'm not only understand entire procedure, I even tried to implement it half year ago while looking way to load plugin at startup.
Mmm... Old good time! I remeber how TC crashed when column width was 0. :)
Now it doesn't crashs but doesn't allows it anyway.
No, it has not.
Yes, it is. If TC starts in any non-custom view (Full, Brief etc...) it not loads content plugins. If you prefer I can rephrase it: user have to keep as startup view any custom view containing field from this plugin.

About modification wincmd.ini - no, thanks. Much more easy and safely to write external program to detect TC startup and inject required dll in TC.
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

C crashed when column width was 0.
what about 1 :)
Yes, it is
Yes, it must start in custom view. Well, there are limitations of that system.
About modification wincmd.ini - no, thanks. Much more easy and safely to write external program to detect TC startup and inject required dll in TC.
Ha ha, how that compares to our story ? It will be started even when TC is not, witch is not the point.

Btw, no need for external program, just put dll into registry key to be loaded with eatch application and detect TC within dll, thats all. Much better then resident program running all the time in a loop, doing nothing except making windows worry about it...

After all, probably the most easiest thing is to replace shortcut for TC to the the one pointing to executable that will load TC and start up plugins and exit.

Multiple approaches are possible, but only the one that doesn't deal with outside world is correct. Everything else is workaround.

Well, anyway, its good you mentioned all that. The only good solution is to support this by Ghisler itself. Nothing easier. Just see the ini, load all dlls and call 1 func.... can be done within an hour or so including interface for adding/removing start up plugins.
Habemus majkam!
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Many people use starters already. Maybe this is the way to go.
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

2majkinetor !
what about 1
AFAIR minimum is 5.
Much better then resident program running all the time
Well, it is matter of taste. BTW, I didn't wrote "better" - I wrote "easy and safely". :wink:
Well, there are limitations of that system.
Now imagine my anger, because I personally want always start TC in brief view. :)
The only good solution is to support this by Ghisler itself. Nothing easier. Just see the ini, load all dlls and call 1 func.... can be done within an hour or so including interface for adding/removing start up plugins.
Yes, you absolutely right.
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

2m^2It is good if you have only one TC installation. But run around many different installations on several computers... No, I don't like starters.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

VadiMGP wrote:2m^2It is good if you have only one TC installation. But run around many different installations on several computers... No, I don't like starters.
What's the problem?
I run 2 different installations. And have absolutely no idea what could be the problem with having more.
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

2m^2
What's the problem?
I run 2 different installations. And have absolutely no idea what could be the problem with having more.
You don't understand my point. Problem is not to have several installations.
The problem (in scope of our conversation) is enforce me(!) to use starters. And while I don't use starter I cannot call "good solution" a solution with starter. :) If you use starter you can find solution matching your requirements. I need solution without starter, because I don't like them.